Councilmembers, Sans Gupta, Address Electoral ‘Shadiness’

It’s election season, and that means a strange — for lack of a better word — A.S. Council meeting.

At least two hours were spent in a state of confusion: first, over a Students for Justice in Palestine event, and second, over judicial board members’ availability for the A.S. elections.

Three students in costume — two in suits and shades, and one in an orange jumpsuit with a black bag over his head — addressed councilmembers during public input on their recruitments for C.I.A. (Criminally Insane Assholes).

Leaders from the UCSD ZOR dance team pleaded the council to help fund their trip to Boston, so they could attend nationals for the first time.

After much debate over the ethics of allocating funds for travel — something the council typically doesn’t do for student organizations — councilmembers voted to fund the full $7,600 it would take for 18 ZOR team members to attend the competition.

During member reports, talkative presidential candidate Tanvir Dhillon announced his appearance in next Tuesday’s Mr. Alpha Chi beauty pageant, where he would represent the A.S. Council.

AVP Concerts & Events Alex Bramwell said Friday’s Bear Garden will be moved to RIMAC Field in an attempt to boost attendance at the men’s volleyball game afterward.

During the question period, Campuswide Senator Carli Thomas asked a pertinent question: “Where is Utsav Gupta?”

[Editor’s note: He was at Foodworx, campaigning.]

In fact, only 17 voting members attended the meeting — just one more than needed for quorum.

After a funding request from Students for Justice in Palestine for a hip-hop activism event and a “Writings on the Wall” event, an hour of debate ensued over the criteria for content-neutral student-org funding.

“You all are picking and choosing with your freedom-of-speech battles,” VP Finance and Resources Peter Benesch said. “It’s really weird.”

About 50 students, presumably contacted via text message from friends at the meeting, arrived to pressure the council to fund potentially controversial event speakers.

As it turns out, many councilmembers were instead debating SJP’s spoken-word event, which was not the event in question.

In new business, a motion to appoint four new members to the A.S. Judicial Board temporarily became another contentious debate.

Three of the four applicants were from the Sixth College Judicial Board — trained the same way as members of the A.S. Judicial Board.

The council debated the partiality of these members, and every other move was described as “shady.”

A.S. Executive Assistant Heather Lucas said that the judicial-board chaos was her fault. “These people didn’t specify that they were graduating in spring, and were not going to be here in the fall… I should have followed up on it,” she said.

Councilmembers argued about the judicial board with no motion on the table, and the general ridiculousness continued until someone wrote on the projected computer screen, “Resolution to impeach Utsav Gupta, WHEREAS it would solve everything.”

$2515
$5000