Third Racist Incident Sends Protesters Into Chancellors Complex

UCSD police received reports about the noose at approximately 10:30 p.m., but said it could have been placed there as early as 8 p.m.

The BSU immediately mobilized, sending out word of a protest scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. Friday morning, which drew over 300 supporters. The demonstration included speakers from the BSU, faculty, LGBT community and local high schools.

At the protest, Campuswide Senator Desiree Prevo referenced the recent opposition from student media organizations over A.S. President Utsav Gupta’s emergency funding freeze last Friday. She said this was not, as the media organizations had contested, a free-speech issue.

“The bill of rights in which the free speech document came from was never meant to include my people, our people, so how do you expect me to respect free speech when I was never supposed to have free speech?” she asked.

Chancellor Marye Anne Fox also emerged from the Chancellor’s Complex to speak for a few minutes. She stressed the university’s commitment to improving campus climate, and said all criminal violations would be punished.

Vice Chancellor of Resource and Management Gary Matthews then revealed that a female student had come forward earlier that morning to turn herself in for planting the noose, along with two witnesses. According to a police bulletin sent to all UCSD students and faculty, the event is being treated as a crime with “intent to terrorize.”

Fox said the student has been suspended for an undisclosed amount of time, but did not explicitly state that criminal prosecution would be pursued.

BSU leaders asked that the student receive stricter punishment, and that administrators respond to their list of 32 demands by 5 p.m. — not March 4, as previously requested. They then demanded that the campus be shut down until all students felt safe.

At approximately 12 p.m., protestors mobilized from their sitting space on Library Walk and marched into an occupation of the Chancellor’s Complex, shouting ‘Shut it down!’ and “Real Pain! Real Action!”

Fox emerged once more, emphasizing to an emotional crowd that the university was doing all it could to take action against the incidents.

“I strongly condemn the offensive acts of hate and bias that have occurred over the past days,” Fox said. “It is deplorable that while our students, faculty and staff work to heal the campus, a few misguided individuals tried to divide it.”

Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Penny Rue echoed these sentiments.

“You can’t imagine how pained we are,” she said. “We are heartsick.”

UC President Mark Yudof also issued a statement condemning the incidents.

However, as Fox made no mention of a shutdown, BSU leaders asked her once again to meet with the Academic Senate in order to determine if a shutdown was feasible. In the meantime, protestors moved into her office and hosted an impromptu sit-in. At approximately 2 p.m., the chancellor announced that she saw no reason for a shutdown; however, protestors decided to continue occupying her office until the 5 p.m. deadline for responding to their requests.

At 5:30 p.m., members of the BSU revealed that their meeting with the Chancellor had concluded, and announced that she had not met their demands.

“They handed us over a bullshit-ass document,” BSU Vice Chair Fnann Keflezighi said. “Basically, it said everything that we already knew, no concrete things on how they’re going to implement anything. They’re dumber than we thought they were — dumber than I thought they were.”

She announced to the remaining supporters that BSU would take to Library Walk once again on Monday at 10 a.m. to demand more progress on meeting the list of demands.

In light of these racial tensions, many events on campus have been cancelled, such as the LGBT Non-Sexist Dance scheduled to take place last Saturday night, as well as the Dr. Seuss birthday celebration scheduled for March 2.