Council Condemns Racist Party, Supports Free Speech

The A.S. Council had a lot on its hands this week as they discussed the “Compton Cookout” event, which ignited racial tension between black students and the Greek community, impeachments and the yet-again proposed revisions to the Loft referendum language.

Newly elected Inter-Fraternity Council president Robby Naoufal addressed the council and read the official IFC statement regarding the racially themed event that targeted black students during the President’s Day weekend.

Members of the black community attended the A.S. meeting, but did not speak about the matter.

Campuswide Senator Bryant Pena motioned proposed a committee to draft an effective resolution concerning campus climate.

Councilmembers debated for too long about the number of representatives from council who would serve on the committee alongside the Black Student Union president and the IFC and Panhellenic presidents.

They agreed to prohibit President Utsav Gupta to sit on the committee due to fear of too much A.S. oversight.

UCAB chair and AVP of Academic Affairs Jordan Taylor discussed the referendum he drafted to raise the University Centers fee to mirror the Consumer Price Index annual increase.

Taylor’s referendum passed, and will go to the Graduate Student Association Monday.

During question time, Advocate General Parminder Sandhu asked Muir Senator Ryan O’Rear why his three submitted resolutions for removing AVPs from their positions did not pass in committee.

O’Rear said the motions were not seconded.

AVP of Enterprise Operations Rishi Ghosh presented a resolution protecting the political free speech rights of UC students, citing that a student’s academic life should not be subjected to these beliefs. This comes in light of the 11 student protestors arrested at UC Irvine after a demonstration against Israeli ambassador Michael Oren.

Councilmembers voted to pass the resolution.

VP of Student Life Riscie Hernandez and Revelle Senator Arvind Satyanarayan rewrote the language of the already-failed-in-council referendum, and councilmembers took it to discussion.

Campuswide Senator Katie Hall voiced her support for allowing the students to vote on the issue.

“I vote yes to allow them to vote for themselves and to keep this dream alive,” Hall said.

VP of Finance and Resources Peter Benesch spoke in opposition, “Eighty percent of students who don’t use the Loft are subsidizing for those 20 percent that do use it,” he said. “It’s not essential; it’s like going to a concert venue for free.”

After a tense council roll call vote, Executive Assistant Heather Lucas announced that the Loft referendum, failed again with a 13-11-2 vote.

Warren Senator Alyssa Wing ended the meeting on a high note, as she explained her idea of announcing a councilmember of the week to “bring a warmth to this council that’s missing.”