‘Compton Cookout’ Is Not Worth Fussing Over

Dear Editor,

In my humble opinion, the UCSD administration’s outrage over Pi Kappa Alpha’s recent Compton Cookout is unwarranted. I do agree that such a party was a disgrace to the true meaning of Black History Month, and reflects the general (nonblack) populace’s dismissive, or perhaps even accommodating, attitude toward racial inequality. However, I believe that the administration needs to take a step back to gain some perspective on the issue.

Fraternities throwing offensive and obscene parties is a hallmark in the long legacy of college Greek life. Youthful rebellion has long included participation in culturally inappropriate activities, such as pretending to know anything about the “ghetto,” the real condition of American poverty, or the people who struggle every day to make ends meet.

Obviously, PIKE is made up of entitled young WASPs who just want to get fucked up and have fun. Instead of protesting some insignificant fraternity’s barbecue bash, I believe that concerned UCSD administrators should focus their attention on real problems that the student body can endeavor to change. We, as a generation, see how the American political system is failing due to outdated bipartisanship. But instead of encouraging the student body to come together to protest and make real change, the administration has resorted to sending e-mails condemning inappropriate frat parties. Grow up, UCSD.

—Jusneet Beasley

Freshman, Marshall College

$2515
$5000