Divas in Denial XV

Andrew Oh/Guardian

Last Saturday, UCSD’s proudest cross-dressing divas and divos put their alter-ego stashes of sequin dresses and baggy jeans to good use in the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer Intersexual Association’s 15th annual Divas in Denial catwalk extravaganza.

Participating kings and queens shook, sashayed and otherwise got low to a packed Price Center West Ballroom.

Divas in Denial staple Swedish Sapphire (sometimes known as Muir College senior Daniel McDonald) passed out tampons and Mardi Gras beads — “But don’t show me your tits,” he warned, “I don’t want to see them!” — during his Lady Gaga mashup/striptease.

Comedian Carlos Mencia even made a guest appearance, performing standup (word is still out on whether the material was stolen), as did the Little Mermaid, who sang “Wish I could have… a vagina” to the tune of “Part of Your World.”

Daughters of Triton — an all-female student singing group — was also on hand to belt out acapella renditions of drag-show standards such as Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive,” as well as new classics like Beyonce’s “Halo.”

The show climaxed with a fashion show that included all the performers and any audience members dressed in drag — a fierce finale to close out two hours of good old-fashioned gender-bending.

$2515
$5000