Che Cafe protesting the addition of a storage shed to the property

Che Cafe workers and patrons are coordinating an ongoing protest against Physical Plant Services’ plan to build a 30-foot-long storage shed behind the cafe.

Chris Padfield

This shed would replace several smaller storage containers in the same area. Protestors say the new shed will decrease parking around the cafe, increase traffic to the area and block access to the organic garden behind the cafe.

The space where the storage shed will be located is now covered by a large pile of branches, mattresses, broken boards and yellow “”caution”” tape placed there by the protesters. A sign on the pile reads, “”We are willing to remove this obstruction when we have a written agreement both parties can agree upon.””

Kris Bohling, a graduate student in music, is one of the primary protestors.

“”Personally, I feel that this is part of a larger trend by the administration involving getting rid of the Che Cafe,”” Bohling said.

“”[The construction of the shed] is allowed to happen without consultation, the fact that they ignore the students,”” Bohling said. “”There is a history of administration trying to close the co-ops because they are independent. [The administration] doesn’t want to lose control.””

Gary Ratcliff, director of the University Centers, strongly disagrees.

“”[The protestors] are expanding the issue beyond what’s really happening: an effort by grounds to locate a storage container so they can accomplish their work,”” Ratcliff said. “”There is no larger plot. There is nothing sinister going on here.””

UCSD has cooperated with students’ concerns about the storage shed, according to Ratcliff.

“”The university has been open and responsive,”” Ratcliff said. “”I’m optimistic that a mutually satisfactory resolution will be achieved.””

The Che Cafe was originally notified about the shed’s construction during winter quarter. The cafe was unhappy with the development, Bohling said.

However, the cafe was willing to negotiate as long as some terms were met, including guarantees that the shed would be temporary and that parking for cafe patrons would not be impaired. The administration verbally agreed that these demands were reasonable.

However, the administration has not signed any documents acknowledging these negotiations.

Warren freshman Erik Borowitz said, “”I am irritated because we had a verbal confirmation that our proposed agreement was reasonable and would be signed. This has not happened.””

The Che Cafe is part of the student-run cooperatives affiliated with the Student Center, which also includes the General Store and a the Food Co-op. The cafe is home to a number of activist groups, serves vegetarian food, and regularly hosts special events, political meetings and musical shows.

The Che Cafe now resides in a building that was originally part of the Camp Matthews military base. Once UCSD was established, the structure became a part of the original Student Center in the late 1960s. In the mid-1970s, the building stood empty for two years, at which point the administration was planning to turn it into a faculty club.

According to Bohling, students objected and produced documentation revealing that former students had originally paid for the establishment’s construction. Thus the building was renovated, and by 1981 became what is now known as the Che Cafe.

According to Ratcliff, the cafe was never purchased with student fees, and UCSD is still the owner of the facility as part of the Student Center. He also said the area in the vicinity of the cafe is not considered a part of the Student Center.

“”The ‘Memorandum of Understanding’ … states clearly that the Che Cafe is allowed by the university to occupy the 1,050 square feet of space inside the facility,”” Ratcliff said. “”This is not defined as any exterior space.””

Bohling feels differently.

“”Everything around Price Center is considered part of the center, from the ATM machines to most of Library Walk,”” Bohling said. “”This area is not clearly defined, but it is part of the structure’s responsibilities. In the same way, the Che Cafe takes responsibility for the area around it.””

“”Students and volunteers have put a great deal of work into maintaining [the Che Cafe],”” said an angry cafe patron who requested to remain anonymous. “”The university takes the cafe seriously enough to want to get rid of it, but not seriously enough to stop playing games.””

However, Ratcliff said their concerns will be addressed.

“”We don’t want to minimize the students’ concerns,”” Ratcliff said. “”We want to make sure they are addressed. Yet the students have expanded the issue: In a way, they’re keeping this storage container hostage in order to add other things on their agenda. This is not tied to any other initiative. It’s just a storage container … there is no ‘next move.'””