Bookstore may soon carry every required textbook

The long lines of students waiting to buy textbooks at Groundwork Books may shorten next quarter, but the way Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Joseph Watson plans to reduce the wait may anger some Groundwork customers.

Lyon Liew

Watson is working on a proposal to mandate that all required textbooks be listed and sold at the UCSD Bookstore in the Price Center. This idea irks many who patronize Groundwork, a student-run cooperative.

Watson and the Office of Student Affairs have sent a letter to Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs Mark Applebaum proposing the change.

Watson cites confusion on where to buy class textbooks as the driving force behind the idea. The plan is not finalized, but Watson has made public that he wants to make it easier for students to know where to buy books.

Guardian file photo

“”From time to time, students will express concerns that they are not given an awareness of where the books are,”” Watson said. “”What I suggest is to have all books listed at the Bookstore and also sold at UC bookstore.””

Some co-op patrons and sympathizers oppose Watson’s plan, as do those who shop at other student-run bookstores.

Muir junior Chris Juvinal thinks the proposed plan will hurt Groundwork Books.

“”Selling all books at the university bookstore would take away business from Groundwork Books and also awareness that there is an alternative bookstore on campus,”” Juvinal said.

The communications department and some other departments solely patronize Groundwork Books for student textbooks. Undergraduate adviser for the communications department Jamie Lloyd said the communications faculty supports the co-ops.

“”[The UCSD Bookstore] asks that we order our books a quarter early, which is too far in advance,”” Lloyd said. “”Groundwork offers more flexibility. It’s more practical for our faculty.””

Watson’s proposal would not prohibit the communications department from patronizing Groundwork, but would make it mandatory for faculty to also list their books at the UCSD Bookstore.

UCSD Bookstore Director John Turk believes that Groundwork Books and the UCSD Bookstore should continue simultaneously supplying books to students. Turk expressed willingness to work with Groundwork in bringing materials to students.

“”If Groundwork would like our book list we’ll give it to them and their business might go up,”” Turk said. “”Why would a professor not want a student to have a choice?””

Workers at the UCSD Bookstore said students often have a hard time with Groundwork Books.

“”A lot of students would come over because they were frustrated because they couldn’t find [their book] or the lines were too long,”” said Teri Denherder of the UCSD Bookstore.

Co-worker Margot Burger thought that a major complaint against Groundwork was the fact that they don’t take credit cards.

Elizabeth Beatus, a Marshall senior, said divided between supporting the co-op and the convenience that the UCSD Bookstore offers.

“”I think it’s beneficial to have all the books in one place because it’s more efficient, but at the same time it is necessary to support student-run organizations,”” Beatus said. “”Groundwork is a good place to provide books needed by students.””

May Deguzman, an ethnic studies major and Groundwork employee, said the administration should support student-run organizations.

“”I think as a vice chancellor of student affairs, [Watson] should support student projects,”” Deguzman said.

Problems directing students to the right store occur from time to time. Associate history professor Rachel Klein ordered textbooks from Groundwork Books earlier this year and was shocked to find that the StudentLink Web site stated the books were available at the UCSD Bookstore.

“”I am curious as to how books that I ordered from Groundwork turned up on StudentLink as available at the university bookstore,”” Klein said.

Klein said she wants to see convenience for students but is skeptical of attempts at undermining co-op organizations.

“”My reaction is that I feel a little bit torn,”” she said. “”I like the convenience this would offer to students, but in so far as it might undercut Groundwork, I think that might be a shame. I would like to see it couple with pro-active efforts to support Groundwork.””

According to Watson, Groundwork Books would not be ruined and the UCSD Bookstore’s prices would be controlled by an advisory committee.

Watson said he is open to other ways of clearing up book location confusion, including a creation of a Web site on which professors must post book sales locations.