UCSD receives record number of applications

UCSD received a record 48,771 fall quarter applications this year, 8 percent more than last year according to a preliminary Jan. 10 report from Student Research and Information.

Freshman applications rose 7.6 percent from 38,137 to 41,037 and transfer applications rose 10.6 percent from 6,990 to 7,734. This is the third consecutive year that UCSD has received a record-setting number of applications.

“”[The current application numbers] are fairly accurate … there will be some changes,”” said acting Assistant Vice Chancellor for Enrollment and Management Mae Brown. “”We will not know final enrollment numbers until the third week of fall quarter.””

Brown said that about 17,000 freshman applicants and 4,600 transfer applicants would be admitted, which would be enough to enroll 4,100 freshmen and 1,340 transfer students.

UCSD received the second most freshman applications in the UC system behind UCLA, according to Brown.

“”Where I see us needing to focus is what we can do to increase the attractiveness of UCSD after we’ve made the offer of admission,”” Brown said. “”Recruitment isn’t the problem for us … it’s yield.””

Brown said that there were “”gains in applications from historically underrepresented students.””

More minority students applied this year, but proportionately there has been little change in the amount of minority applicants.

The number of African-American applicants increased 9.9 percent this year, Mexican-American applicants increased 10 percent, Filipino applicants increased 7.3 percent, Latino applicants increased 13.6 percent and Native American applicants increased 16.2 percent.

In terms of the amount of minority applicants compared to the whole pool of applicants, no minority group logged more than a 0.2 percent increase.

Caucasian applicants make up 37.4 percent of the total, as compared to 37 percent last year. The two other groups with the largest comparative increase are Filipinos, who make up 3.2 percent of the total applicants compared to 3 percent last year, and Mexican-Americans, who make up 9.5 percent of the total applicants compared to 9.3 percent last year.

“”We do active recruitment in the fall for all students,”” Brown said. “”In our outreach efforts we talk about UCSD and the strength of this campus in terms of its academic programs.””

Earl Warren College received the most freshman applications this year, with 20.4 percent of the total, followed by Muir with 19.8 percent, Revelle with 15.9 percent, Roosevelt with 12.8 percent, Marshall with 11.1 percent and Sixth College with 9.8 percent. Muir received the most transfer applications, followed by Warren, Marshall, Roosevelt and Revelle.

“”We have met our goal in numbers of applications,”” said Sixth College Dean of Academic Advising Sandra Williams. “”We have received enough applications to easily meet our target of 330 freshmen for fall 2002.””

Revelle is satisfied with the number of applications received from prospective freshmen, acting Revelle Provost Barbara Sawrey said.

Revelle wants to receive more transfer applications, Sawrey added.

“”We work particularly hard to recruit transfer students and to inform them of the options available if they come to Revelle,”” Sawrey said. “”Possibly, some of the same structured [general education] requirements that freshmen like are a deterrent to an upper-division student coming from a community college.””

UCSD is seeking to increase the number of applicants from California community colleges, according to Brown.

“”We think that a number of the programs and activities we’ve launched over the last few years are beginning to produce significant effects at the transfer level,”” Brown said.

Brown noted that UCSD had a 63 percent admit rate for transfer students last year, compared to a 43 percent admit rate for freshman applicants.

Several students mentioned their college’s general education requirements and college layout as the main reason for choosing their college.

Warren freshman Olivia Bentley said that she wavered between two colleges before deciding on Warren because of its general education requirements.

“”I like Warren’s overall looks,”” Bentley said. “”I really like the dorms, but it was mostly the programs of concentration.””

Marshall sophomore Marvin Cheng is happy with his choice of colleges and wouldn’t change a thing if he had to do it all over again.

“”I think the location’s pretty good,”” Cheng said.

“”I really like … the way [Roosevelt’s] dorms were set up,”” Roosevelt sophomore Lucia Mortiz said. “”I’m glad we had to take a language, because now I’m continuing with it and I’m going to choose a minor in it.””

$2515
$5000