SAAC concerned about Koala material

Members of the Student Affirmative Action Committee gave a presentation at the A.S. Council meeting on Oct. 10, arguing that The Koala printed racist material that is offensive to many groups on campus, including those represented by SAAC, the Union of Jewish Students and the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity.

SAAC members brought copies of the UCSD Principles of Community, as well as copies of The Koala’s most recent issue. These two visual aids were intended to show that a university that prides itself on diversity should not stand by and watch while slanderous things are being printed, according to SAAC Chairman Ernesto Martinez.

“”The atmosphere I get is ‘I’m just one student, I feel powerless,'”” Martinez said. “”Or people read it and they think, ‘Wow, that’s really terrible,’ and then they go on with their lives.””

The goal of the presentation, according to Martinez, was “”primarily to raise awareness within the A.S. [Council] and the UCSD community that these things aren’t funny.””

SAAC hopes that the anti-hate resolution passed by the A.S. Council earlier this quarter will influence any action the A.S. Council may take against The Koala.

SAAC met previously with A.S. Commissioner of Communications Catherine Algeri and members of The Koala to discuss cutting funding, so SAAC did not expect the A.S. Council to propose a funding cut after Algeri’s explanation of the A.S. Media Charter.

“”Going in, we knew that they weren’t going to be able to cut the funding,”” Martinez said. “”It’s discouraging and disheartening when your administration tells you that they can’t do anything.””

SAAC also wanted to address the college council chairs and urge them to take action within their councils, as well as start sending representatives to the SAAC meetings.

“”In general, I did get a good response from the college council chairs,”” Martinez said. “”I got feedback from most of them.””

Martinez commended Thurgood Marshall College Student Council for continually sending a representative to the SAAC meetings and for unanimously passing a resolution that condemns the allegedly racist language printed in The Koala.

$2515
$5000