Site Seen: The Guacamole Bowl

The “Guacamole Bowl” started 10 years ago by retired San Diego police officer Matt Weathersby who sought to support local charities. His mission has been highly successful so far, raising over $67,000 for local programs for athletes with developmental disabilities. Saturday, Feb. 23, will be the decennial anniversary of this curious competition and all the proceeds will go towards the charity Sports for Exceptional Athletes.

Currently there are 25 teams registered to participate in the event with some late entries possible. The teams will be made up of members of law enforcement, Kiwanis service clubs, restaurants and the general public who all have a shot at making guac. The top three teams in each division as voted by the popular vote will win a cooking medal and be allowed through to the final round where they will meet the official judges. The gold medal winners from the four major divisions (Law Enforcement, open, restaurants and Kiwanis) will compete once more in order to win the “Guacamole Bowl” Trophy, truly signifying who has mastered the challenge of creating the perfect guacamole. Not only do they receive the coveted trophy and annual fame, the team captain is awarded an avocado-green culinary jacket.

Smaller awards will also be honored: The best-decorated table will be carefully judged and a People’s Choice Award for the finest recipe across all divisions will result in an instant advance to the final round.

It’s a highly serious event. Over 2,000 avocados will be on site (kindly donated by Calavo Growers Inc.). There are strict rules to how the guacamole should be prepared (i.e. no pre-chopping permitted) and what the teams will be provided with (12 avocados, onions, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, limes, cilantro and serving cups). Teams bring their own bowls and cooking utensils. Ice can also be brought on site to successfully keep the guacamole perfectly chilled. 12 minutes is the official time limit for teams to prepare their recipe in front of official judges.

Anyone can come and judge and try out the array of green goodness: For a $5 donation you can sample to your heart’s content with Mission tortilla chips. Doors open to the public at 10 a.m. and voting begins at 1:30 p.m. with the winners being announced around 2:30 p.m. “If you like good guacamole, and lots of it, then Balboa Park is the place to be,” Weathersby said.

Come down on Saturday, Feb. 23, to listen to the Chula Vista High School Mariachi Band and prepare to be bowled over by guacamole.