Into the Fray

This season, the Tritons return with the core of the team that made two consecutive appearances at the College World Series — but there are two exceptions: Neither program leader in runs, hits, batting average and RBI Kris Lesovsky nor record holder for appearances and strikeouts Camille Gaito will return.

UCSD coach Patti Gerckens — headlining the 2012 West Region Coaching Staff of the Year — has two big holes to work around, with no obvious alternatives in place. In fact, Gerckens says the lineup is still very much in a state of flux.

“Out of the nine positions, we have maybe four solidified, and we have a week and a half to figure it out,” Gerckens said.

The Tritons, who have operated on the strength of their defense in the past two seasons, start 2013 with a dubious bullpen. Freshman slingers Hannah Duarte and Alexis Edwards, along with junior right-hander Jennifer Manuel are all injured, leaving Gerckens with just two healthy pitchers — junior Michelle Escamilla and sophomore Kayla Hensel.

At the plate, it has yet to be seen whether UCSD will have enough in the box to remain dangerous this season, considering UCSD’s 10–2 loss to Concordia University on Wednesday in the 10-inning scrimmage. But despite the loss of Lesovsky in the leadoff spot, the Tritons retain the strong 2011 and 2012 recruiting classes that propelled them through the postseason last year. Junior All-West Region selection Caitlin Brown will likely be relied on to continue to produce at the plate, along with shortstop Mya Romero — last season’s RBI leader. Redshirt sophomore Taylor Sepulveda — 2011 NCAA All-Tournament team selection — returns to the lineup after recovering from the injury that sidelined her last season.

Additionally, look for sophomores Maria Sykes — finishing the 2012 season with a .408 on base percentage — and Monique Portugal to improve on their stellar debut seasons.

The Tritons will go without junior designated hitter Charly Swanberg, who transferred to play at University of San Diego at the beginning of the academic year.

“I think that we have a good core of athletes returning and that they definitely have the desire, and we just have to keep working hard,” Gerckens said. “I know that we have a lot to improve on, and that’s why we had this game [against Concordia] to find where our weaknesses are.”

Gerckens says the Tritons bring in some big additions that will strengthen the lineup, chief among them Callie Grant, a left-handed hitter who will lead off for the Tritons this season. Freshman Katie Saunders has also impressed, and she may take over as the catcher for the Tritons, while McKenna Clewett and Amani Proctor will battle with Sykes for the second base position.

“Grant will be great, she’s going to be our lead-off hitter,” Gerckens said. “I think she will see time in the outfield and at third base. She’s fast; she has a lot of different tools at the plate. She can bunt and also hit for power. McKenna Clewett and Amani Proctor will fight for a position at second base. We’ll see who ends up at the position, because it’s going to come down to who has the best stick. [Proctor’s] a slapper with great speed, [Clewett’s] a good solid hitter.”

The Annual CCAA Preseason Coaches Poll, a survey of the 10 conference coaches, came out Wednesday, Jan. 23. The Tritons were picked to finish fourth, despite advancing to the CCAA title game last season, receiving one first place vote for 57 points. Cal State Dominguez Hills was predicted to finish first with five first place votes, Cal State Monterey Bay was picked to finish second and Sonoma State was picked to finish in the third spot.

“Dominguez Hills is a great team with two strong pitchers back, and when you have pitching, as we know, it takes you a long way,” Gerckens said. “I don’t know what they have offensively, but you don’t have to have a lot of offense when you have good pitching.”

Wednesday’s matchup against Concordia will serve as the only tune-up game before the Tritons officially begin the preseason. UCSD will host a four-game series against Western Oregon University next Friday and Saturday, Feb. 1 and Feb. 2.