Council Condemns DEA, Discuss Financial Transparency

A.S. Advocate General Courtney Hill brought legislation to impeach senators Ashton Cohen, Amanda Malamud, Kevin Fish, Clinton Rodriguez and Cyrus Kiani. But after further review, council decided that five senators would not be impeached because their outstanding absences were the result of clerical error.

General Store Co-operative member Tauri St. Claire said that the General Store has made big strides in paying back the debts it accrued during a down period from 2007-09. Since 2009, the General Store has paid back $20,000 in debt, back taxes and penalties, she said.

“Consider the General Store as being under new management,” St. Claire said.

Council cheered ERC Senator Jackie Clavin when she announced that safety whistles engraved with the UCSD logo and walk number had arrived.

Associate Vice President of Student Advocacy Bryce Farrington told the council that the Know Your Rights Campaign will be held Week Seven. The campaign will go into detail about how to handle encounters with the police, among other things.

Associate Vice President of Student Services Leigh Mason reported that A.S. Safe rides signed up 131 students at last week’s Bear Garden. She also told the council that Safe Rides is currently exploring the feasibility of single sign-ons for Safe Rides.

A.S. President Alyssa Wing announced that the re-filming of the AS UCSD Lip Dub will be held on Sunday and would be open to all who showed up.

“This is a project that is honestly larger than ourselves, larger than our committee,” Wing said. “People that were there the first time around can attest that there was a community building through this project.”

Sixth College Senator Cody Marshall told the council that the Chocolate Festival is this Friday, May 4. 

Two members of the council — Campuswide Senators Karen Liang and Matt Bradbury — were honored as Councilmembers of the Week.

Interim Associate Vice President of Academics Samuel Chang and Marshall Senator Bryan Cassella gave a presentation on behalf of the Office of Finance. They called to attention the lack of financial transparency at UCSD, citing that 21 percent of the expenditures are labeled other with no further clarification.

“We need to know where everything in the budget goes, if we don’t know, we’re going to be stuck footing the bill, because people will say ‘oh the students can pay for this,’” Chang said.

Revelle Senator Caeser Feng and Chang created a presentation about changes that could streamline the selection process of associate vice presidents and make the selection more accountable. Later, council passed the resolution.