Baseball Splits Home and Away Series

Neither team scored until the fifth inning, when CSU San Bernardino right fielder Edwin Mendoza doubled down the right field line to start a rally that ended with two runs for the Coyotes.
                The Tritons responded with runs in the eighth and ninth innings off a wild pitch and an in-field error, but it wasn’t enough to take the win.

The Coyotes manufactured their winning run off substitutions ending with catcher Paul Eschleman knocking a walk off single to right field.

“I thought we showed a lot of character today,” UCSD manager Eric Newman said. “They came out here with some resolve, that they were going to fight and they were going to fight through the adversity, whatever came their way and they really did. They answered every time, and that’s the mark of a team that’s starting to grow up. I was excited to see that.”

Danny Susdorf had a good day at the plate, going three for four. No one else on the roster recorded more than one hit.

UCSD 4,  CSU San Bernardino 14
                Friday’s game in San Bernardino was worse for the Tritons, who were on the receiving end of two Coyote rallies that put the game out of reach.

The third inning saw four unanswered runs as the Coyotes batted around the entire lineup. The fourth inning ended in much of the same way, as San Bernardino went up 90.

The Tritons rallied in the fourth inning, scoring one run off the bat of second baseman Spencer Frazier, as he flied out to bring home third baseman Sam Michaels.

Jeff Rauh picked up his third loss of the season, making his record 34 in season after only three and one-third innings.

“We played bad, we were outplayed in every aspect, and some days that will happen to you,” Newman said. “But what really matters is what you’re going to do the next day.”

UCSD 8, San Bernardino 4
                The next day was a huge turnaround for the Tritons. Despite giving up nine hits, senior Greg Selarz picked up his fourth win of the year on two base-on-balls and one strikeout.
                On their home turf, the Tritons got the jump on the Coyotes in the first inning, scoring three runs. Junior Nick LaFace batted in first baseman Richard Siegel, while right fielder Scott Liske hit his first of three singles to bring in LaFace.
                The rest of the day was a battle between the two teams, with Elias Tuma picking up the save for the Tritons, facing ten batters over three innings and giving up only one hit.
                UCSD closed the door in the seventh inning, with the game close at 64. The Tritons scored two runs as Seigel ran out an infield single to start the rally.
                Left fielder Justin Rahn had a good game, going two for three and tallying two RBIs.

UCSD 5, CSU San Bernardino 2
                In the last game of the series on Saturday, the Tritons took the early lead and never looked back. They snuck in one run in the first inning, as Susdorf hit an impressive shot to center to land him on third. From there Susdorf stole home.
                Both teams held steady until the fifth inning, when the Tritons bats came alive. Susdorf hit another shot to left for a double, while Seigel doubled to left center for two RBIs. After this power play, the Tritons bunted Tuck to third. Then Rahn singled down the right field line to score Tuck.
                The Coyotes were unable to cut the deficit, and the Tritons went away with the wi
    n.