Men’s Tennis Dominate in Season Opener

The Tritons had a few close sets against Hope International in the morning but overall they dominated the Royals, beating them 9-0.

Senior Jason Wall led singles, winning in straight sets of 6-0 and 6-0 while sophomore Max Jiganti won 6-2 and 6-1 and junior Austin West won 6-1 and 6-2. Seniors Chapman Chan and Sam Ling, and junior Junya Yoshida also won their respective matches 7-5, 6-2, 6-3, 6-1 and 6-4, 6-3.

The doubles team of Wall and freshman Kona Luu won 8-0, while Ling and Yoshida won 8-1, and West and sophomore Devin Sousa won 8-5.

Later that evening Tritons defeated Redlands 8-1. Yoshida had an intense singles match, losing the first set 4-6 and coming back to win the second set 6-1. Yoshida won the tiebreaker 15-13.

Ling also had a close match, winning 7-6, 7-5. West, Jiganti and Luu won their singles matches 6-4, 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 and 6-2, 6-0.

Chapman was visibly upset during his singles match, losing the tiebreaker — 6-7, 6-2, 7-10.

The doubles teams took hard-fought wins. Sousa and West played the longest match, finally winning 9-8. By the time they finished their match, every player from each team was watching and cheering for their respective sides.

“I think they were really competitive,” Sousa said. “Me and [West] held high — that helped us to put it out in the end.”

The doubles teams of Luu and Wall, and Chan and Jiganti also won their matches, 9-8, 8-6.

The UCSD Men’s Tennis team returns to the court against Concordia Irvine Feb. 7 at 2 p.m.

The Concordia Eagles are currently ranked No. 11 nationally in the NAIA Coaches’ Preseason Poll. Their first season match will be against UCSD this Tuesday.