UK Singer Tackles American Soul

Adele
21
XL

If this is what Adele sounds like when she’s heartbroken, let’s hope that she never stops mourning.

Two years ago, the British singer’s debut album, 19, garnered her high-profile fans (like former Prime Minister Gordon Brown) in the UK, as well as two Grammy awards stateside. Her follow-up, titled 21 to again reflect her age during the recording process, is a self-declared breakup album. But 21 stands out from its predecessor with diverse influences from American soul to country.

The country flair is most noticeable on “Rumour Has It,” which begins with stomps and a humming chorus. The consistent background beat creates the spine over which claps, chants, fiddle and twang-like vocals are overlaid. Even the lyrical content — a woman admonishing an ex for being with a hussy — is reminiscent of a Carrie Underwood hit, though Adele’s throaty vocals keep it from venturing too far into pop.

Then there’s “Rolling in the Deep,” which is all about rhythm. The rollicking lyrics emphasize different words (“The scars of your love/Remind me of us/They keep me thinking”) and build to a full-out gospel chorus that lets Adele show off her greatest strength — her inhumanly powerful voice.

In its weakest parts, the album buries this voice behind too much pop production. “Set Fire to the Rain,” an ’80s-style power ballad in the vein of Heart, doesn’t belong on the track list, and the attempted reinvention of The Cure’s “Lovesong” is ultimately lackluster. Unlike her jazz cover of Bob Dylan’s “Make You Feel My Love” on 19, the urgency of the classic is stripped away and turned into downtempo fluff.

But 21 is redeemed by tracks like album closer “Someone Like You.” Production-wise, it’s the simplest song on the album; instead of lush instrumentation, there’s only Adele’s subdued voice floating over a four-note piano loop, creating a simplicity that highlights the poignant lyrics.

Think of the song, or the entire album even, as a soulful version of Robyn’s “Dancing On my Own”: therapeutic music for lonely girls in unrequited love. (8/10)