Endorsement: Vice President Internal — Janine Dellomes

A weak vice president internal would be one of the most devastating blows to the A.S. Council. As the proverbial glue for councilmembers, the vice president manages council meetings and appoints student representation to campuswide committees. Janine Dellomes, currently A.S. President Christopher Sweeten’s publicity manager, has the common sense and upfront personality to effectively lead the office.

Dellomes recognizes the selfless attitude senators need to form a smoothly run council. To perpetuate that attitude, Dellomes says she will put her publicity experience to use, organizing leadership retreats and continuing Fornero’s “Raising the Bar” events.

Although her plans are a basic continuation of Fornero’s initial strategies, Dellomes will depart from the current tenure in important ways. Fornero’s enforcement of contracts dictating committee representatives’ allegiance to the views of the A.S. Council largely eliminates true student voices on committees, transforming the positions into mouthpieces for the council. Dellomes, however, does not support the loyalty oaths, correctly depending on the committee members’ expertise in their respective subject areas.

In previous years, the vice president internal has had to continually battle with unacceptably low attendance at council meetings. Dellomes recognizes the damage that the dull bureaucracy of meetings. Her magnetic enthusiasm should be able to cure such an ailment.

Her competitor, Tritons United!’s Alicia Coates, chose not to attend an endorsement interview with this board and did not return numerous calls for comment, which leaves this board unsure of her position or qualifications. If her candidate statement is a reflection, however, Coates leaves much to be desired. Though Coates may possess other qualities, she has not proven otherwise to this board. Dellomes, however, is certainly a qualified candidate for the slot.