Cross country bids goodbye to six runners

With the end of the year at UCSD, the Tritons bid farewell to an integral group of seniors on the cross country team. These six members led the women’s team to a 17th-place finish in the 2002 Division II National Championship and the men’s team to place 15th at nationals the year before.

Courtesy of UCSD Athletics

Leading the senior class is 2002 All-American Audrey Sung, who placed 19th at nationals to close out a remarkable 2002 season that included six top-10 finishes. She also competes in the 3,000 meter for the track and field team and earned 2001 All-America and All-CCAA honors.

“”Audrey is a fascinating teammate,”” said fellow senior Steve Martin. “”She exemplifies the accomplishment of hard work and determination over time.””

Martin, with a degree in management science from Thurgood Marshall College, was a team captain the past two years for the men and posted a season-best 34th at the Triton Classic Invitational last October. Now working in L.A. as a consultant for the Camden Group, he hopes to continue on with distance running and is developing an alumni team with other graduates.

Also joining Martin as a graduate last fall is Jason Stone. Stone also was a two-time captain, serving for the 2000 and 2001 seasons. He earned a psychology degree from Marshall and currently works as a substitute teacher and looks to attend graduate school.

“”The last four and a half years of running at UCSD was a pleasure and a rewarding experience,”” Stone said. “”I’ve made some lifelong friends during my time here.””

Alan Shapiro, an economics major at Eleanor Roosevelt College, was a four-year letterman and earned team rookie of the year honors. He led his team with a 61st-place finish in the 2001 nationals and helped the Tritons place 15th overall. Even though the 2002 season was mired with injuries, Shapiro was able to place in five races and continues to run for the track and field team. He plans to work for SmithBarney and become a financial consultant.

Also graduating this year is senior Caren Jordan. In her final season, Jordan placed three times and contributed to the success of the women’s team that reached the National Championships this year. She was unavailable for comment.

Rounding out the class is David Dunbar, who this year had four top-20 finishes including a 10th-place showing at the Triton Classic Invitational and an 18th-place finish at the West Regional. He also competes for the track and field team in distance running.

“”Dave is one of the fiercest competitors I’ve ever met,”” Shapiro said. “”He has the kind of intensity and fire you wish for in a teammate.””

One thing all these seniors shared in common was their respect for head coach Ted Van Arsdale, who was unavailable for comment.

“”You just can’t say enough about him,”” Stone said. “”He just knows and understands his team well and will always be an inspiration for my lifetime.””

Shapiro agreed, and said, “”I couldn’t have asked for a better coach to help me set and accomplish my goals.””

In regard to the future of the team, the seniors feel confident the team will continue to succeed.

“”There is a lot of hope and potential for this team in the coming years,”” Shapiro said. “”We set a standard, and future teams should look to exceed it.””