Women's tennis improves to a perfect 3-0

The UCSD women’s tennis team picked up two wins last week, knocking off California State University Los Angeles 8-1 last Saturday before beating crosstown contender Alliant International University 9-0 Tuesday afternoon.

In the meeting between two California Collegiate Athletic Association teams, the Tritons easily disposed of the Golden Eagles of Cal State Los Angeles.

Kristina Jansen led UCSD, teaming with Jasmin Dao to win their No. 3 doubles match 8-0 over Michele Gee and Charys Scolton. Jansen then knocked off Gee in the No. 5 singles match 6-0, 6-0.

Julie Westerman also prevailed in her singles match without losing a game, defeating Scolton in the No. 6 match.

Despite the outstanding Triton play, the story of the meet was the No. 1 singles match, which paired freshman Dao against Los Angeles’ Tamra Encina. Dao lost the first three games, making it apparent something was wrong. Dao retired after the third game, conceding the match to Encina.

Riding the wave of the victory over CSULA, UCSD headed down Miramar Road to take on Alliant International University.

AIU, which finished 15th in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics last year, ran into a surging Triton squad, handily defeated their neighbors to the east.

Four players made their 2002 season debut for the Tritons against AIU, each picking up wins.

Sophomore Stephanie Moriarty didn’t lose a game in her No. 5 singles match, defeating Carmen Push in her debut. Freshman Barbie Duncan made her collegiate debut by beating Sarah Riedwig 6-1, 6-1 in No. 6 singles play.

Despite the easy team win, UCSD did lose its first set of the season when the lone Triton senior, Lyndsey Tadlock, dropped the first set in a tiebreaker to Rebecca Tornquist. Tadlock came back to win the second set in a tiebreaker before dominating the third and deciding set, winning 6-0.

On the doubles side, the Tritons lost only two games in three matches with Fany Setiyo and Sarah Bahlert — both making their 2002 debut — defeating their No. 3 singles opponent 8-0.

UCSD is now 3-0 and leads the CCAA with a 2-0 conference record. Next up for the Tritons is a meet against Division III Claremont College on Feb. 9. The following Wednesday, Feb. 13, the women’s tennis team makes its home debut against another San Diego college, Point Loma Nazarene, at 2:30 p.m. at UCSD’s North Courts.