UCSD CLUB SPORTS

Ice Hockey

The UCSD ice hockey team continued its impressive run, once again sweeping its weekend opponents.

In its first match against Fresno State, UCSD fought back from a 2-1 deficit to earn a 4-2 victory. UCSD’s Kevin Davis scored two goals while his brother Keith Davis added another in the comeback.

In its following match, UCSD bullied and bruised helpless San Jose State with a 10-0 shutout.

Women’s Rugby

The UCSD women’s rugby team held its annual Scrum by the Sea tournament over the weekend. For the first time, UCSD came out as the undisputed champion of the event with a flawless 4-0 record.

The team defeated its opponents by a combined margin of 104-0. Its victims included UC Davis (19-0), San Jose State (34-0), Occidental (10-0) and Claremont (41-0). UCSD’s Tina Evangelou had an exceptional weekend, knocking down back-to-back tries.

Men’s Lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse team finished up its fall season with an impressive 15-6 win against Claremont College this past weekend.

UCSD’s offense was led by Fonz Ikeda and Matt LaFiandra, and was backed by Ben Bristow and Ben Hulley at mid-field.

Sailing

UCSD’s sailing team competed through a downpour over the weekend at the North/South Intersectionals in San Luis Obispo, Calif. The team placed 11th out of 18 boats in the varsity division.

Team captain R.J. Ward and Valerie Brossart placed 12th in the A division. Rob Grant and Erica McClure took eighth in the B Division. Galen Richards took third in the single-handed laser division.

The team, with big wins over Western Washington, UCLA and Cal Poly, is currently ranked fourth in the region and has a strong shot to advance to the Pacific Coast Championships.

Men’s Rugby

UCSD’s men’s rugby had a tough weekend at the Stanford-run Bay Area Fall Classic Tournament when the team finished with a 1-3 record.

Losses included a close battle with Chico State, which fell to 12-7. Sacramento State and Humboldt State also shut out UCSD with 20-0 and 22-0 wins, respectively.

In the final match of the tournament for UCSD, Chris Ranglas scored the only goal of the game to defeat USF, 7-0.

Ultimate Disc

The UCSD women’s ultimate disc team participated in its first tournament of the year at the Sean Ryan Invitational in Santa Cruz, Calif.

The team finished with a 1-3 record for the competition because it defeated UC Davis but was outmatched by the Stanford X and Y teams, Chico State and UC Santa Cruz.

The team of 12 rookies and eight veterans showed its youthfulness during the tournament but also gained valuable experience for its new players.

Upcoming

Nov. 16: Ice hockey plays UC Davis at UTC at 10:15 p.m.

Nov. 17: Ice hockey plays California State University Long Beach at Lakewood Glacial at 9:15 p.m.

Equestrian has a show at UC Davis (Nov. 17 and Nov. 18).

Cycling will race at UC Davis (Nov. 17 and Nov. 18).

Men’s ultimate has a warm-up tournament at UCSD (Nov. 17 and Nov. 18).

Women’s ultimate hosts the So-Cal Tournament at UCSD.

— Compiled by Jeff Chung

Contributing Writer