Get Into the Summer Music Festivities

Awww, the dog days of summer! For many people, summer means frozen lemonade, sunburns and Lollapalooza. Oh wait, that was so six years ago.

At least you can still catch the lovely ladies of Lilith Fair. Oops, my mistake. That ended about three years ago.

Hey, there is always the This Ain’t No Picnic festival. Actually, all you indie rock kids will have to find something else for this Fourth of July, because that’s out of the picture, too.

OK, so the summer festival circuit is not what it once was, but there are still some shows making their way across the country this summer just in time for you to spend your hard-earned cash on overpriced T-shirts.

Area:One

The festival will feature Moby, Outkast, Paul Oakenfold, Incubus, New Order, The Roots, Nelly Furtado, Carl Cox, The Orb and Rinocerose.

Stepping in where Lollapalooza left off, Area:One is a festival dedicated to artistic unity and integrity.

However, at the festival’s Web site, http://www.areafestival.com, you will find one inherent difference between Area:One and its alternative predecessors.

But never fear, you corporate-phobes, part of the proceeds from Area:One will benefit Greenpeace and Lifebeat.

July 31: Mountain View, Calif. Shoreline Amphitheater. On sale now.

Aug. 5: Devore, Calif. Blockbuster Pavilion. On sale now.

Ozzfest

Back from the dead, Marilyn Manson will join Black Sabbath, Slipknot, Papa Roach, Linkin Park and Crazy Town for this year’s Ozzfest. Unlike Area:One, this year’s lineup pays little attention to artistic integrity — Crazy Town is in the lineup — but nevertheless promises to rock as hard as ever.

A warning to metalheads planning on going to the San Bernardino show: Leave at least three extra hours of travel time to get to the Blockbuster Pavilion, because the venue’s only access is from one freeway exit; and traffic piles up for miles.

June 27: Sacramento, Calif. Sacramento Valley Amphitheater. On sale now.

June 29: Mountain View, Calif. Shoreline Amphitheater. On sale now.

June 30: San Bernardino, Calif. Glen Helen Blockbuster Amphitheater. On sale now.

Vans Warped Tour

If one thing can be counted on this summer, it is as always the Vans Warped Tour. Serving up another great collection of California punk, it never fails to deliver. Rancid, 311, Pennywise, NewFound Glory and Less Than Jake are just some of the bands you will find among the many athletes and artisans and the Warped Tour.

June 24: Fresno, Calif. Fresno State Ampitheater.

June 27: Chula Vista, Calif. Coors Amphitheater. On sale now.

June 28: Ventura, Calif. Seaside Park. On sale now.

June 29: Los Angeles, Calif. L.A. Coliseum. On sale now.

If none of these tours are to your liking, I suggest taking off to merry ol’ England, where they really know how to throw concert festivals, for the annual Reading Festival. Travis, P.J. Harvey, Green Day and Iggy Pop are just a few of the big names you’ll find at the three-day concert.

However, if you must spend the summer on this side of the Atlantic, there is still something to be learned from the Brits — beer improves every concert experience!