Protesters occupy Starbucks at Price Center

Image by Hana Tobias for The UCSD Guardian

At approximately 11:18 a.m. on Wednesday, May 22, protesters affiliated with Students for Justice in Palestine at UC San Diego occupied the Starbucks located at Price Center.

The protesters entered Starbucks and started ordering water cups as a way to disrupt normal operations. Customers who were ordering drinks other than water were not obstructed. 

Protesters occasionally chanted “shame,” when people ordered or picked up drinks. 

Members of the university administration have been seen in the kitchen of Starbucks or outside discussing with UCPD.

In an Instagram post, SJP stated that Starbucks “makes drinks for genocide” and posted a schedule of events for the duration of the occupation.

At approximately 5:00 p.m., protesters moved to Burger King as Starbucks closed early due to the disruption. Normal Starbucks operation hours on Wednesday are from 7:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. As with Starbucks, the protesters chanted “shame” every time a person picked up food from the counter at Burger King. 

Starbucks removed their seating inside of the Price Center. The next day, May 23, a letter was taped on the door and wall next to the queue explaining this decision. “Due to recent activities within Starbucks our furniture will need to be removed for the foreseeable future,” the note reads. 

About the Contributors
Carter Castillo
Carter Castillo, News Editor
Second year Comparative Politics Major and passionate student journalist. Proud owner of a 2012 Toyota Prius.
Hana Tobias
Hana Tobias, Photographer
Hana is a fourth year Cognitive Science major.
$2505
$5000