Local Nonprofit To Hold “American Idol”-Style Singing Contest

Students enrolled at San Diego County colleges and universities have a new opportunity to showcase vocal talent through Campus SuperStar, an American Idol-type singing competition with celebrity judges whose finalists will have the chance to win up to $5,000.

Benefiting Hillel of San Diego, the contest is open to all full-time undergraduate and graduate students in the area who do not already have professional talent representation. The final competition will feature 10 finalists and take place at The Auditorium at The Scripps Research Institute on March 15.

Keri Copans, the Lori Bolotin Director of Development at Hillel of San Diego, told the UCSD Guardian that the Campus SuperStar judges will not be publicized before the audition period begins and said that they would probably be San Diego celebrities.

“The judges will be revealed in either January or February,” Copans said. “The judges will most likely be local performing arts professional[s], [for example, the] director of the Old Globe Theatre, as opposed to Hollywood celebrities.”

Finalists will ultimately be crowned by the audience. The first, second and third place contestants will be awarded monetary prizes of $5,000, $1,500 and $1,000, respectively.

Proceeds from the event will go toward increasing student involvement in Hillel at local college campuses. Copans said that the event aims to reach far beyond the Jewish student community.

“Each year, hundreds of thousands of college students find community, create connections and build leadership skills on campus,” Copans said. “Hillel recognizes that college is a natural time for exploration and identity formation, and Hillel relies on leadership, motivated students and demonstrated university support to create positive memories for scores of students. While Hillel focuses on the needs for Jewish students, our programs are inclusive to all students and an event like Campus SuperStar shows our commitment to this.”

The event’s finalists will be narrowed down through a system of auditions and callbacks. According to the website, auditions should be between 45 seconds and two minutes in length and all vocalists will be expected to sing live with a professional accompanist.

Students can visit the event’s website and sign up for one of three audition dates at three different San Diego universities: Jan. 11 at UCSD, Jan. 25 at San Diego State and Jan. 27 at Cal State San Marcos. Finalists will be expected to attend callback auditions on Feb. 1 and all subsequent rehearsals scheduled by the music director.

Copans added that although the concept of Campus SuperStar is not new, this will be the first year that Hillel of San Diego hosts the event.

“Campus SuperStar was created in 2004 by the Hillels of Georgia. Other Hillels that put on Campus SuperStar are Indiana University and the University of Pittsburgh,” Copans said.