UCSD Fencing Kicks Off Season

The Triton’s fencing program is one of the top in the nation, as the team has accumulated seven titles in the Intercollegiate Fencing Conference of Southern California.

Over the weekend, several Tritons had good showings in the foil event. The foil is a competition in which the lightest of the three types of fencing weapons is used and points are only scored if a thrust hits an opponent in the waist or neck. UCSD senior Michael Fong won the foil, while freshman Jeffrey Chan also had a good performance, finishing 13th in the same competition.

In the final for the women’s foil, two Tritons dueled for gold and silver, with senior Julia Wu outmaneuvering sophomore Julie Forcier.

An epee is a slightly heavier weapon than the foil and can score points with a thrust to any part of the body. Freshman Adam Campbell-Kruger fought his way to ninth place on the men’s side. UCSD sophomore Luke Ginestat finished 19th.

The sabre is the most menacing and heaviest of the three fencing weapons, perhaps eliciting the most excitement since cutting blows can garner points — as well as welts and bruises.

In the sabre event, sophomore Nic Bartuzik led the Triton men in sixth place. On the women’s side, sophomore Munira Gesner slashed her way to third.

Overall, the Tritons recorded a good start to a promising season. UCSD will now head to Irvine on Sunday for the Collegiate Open.