Letters to the Editor

Marshall Calendar Ad

Crosses the Line

Dear Editor,

While I greatly appreciate the helpful retraction announcement in today’s edition, I believe that our campus has some distance to travel with regard to addressing our common heritage and our complex diversity.

The inadequate “student and faculty racial composition”” on this campus has disappointed a good many of us within the UC system, within the state of California, and beyond.

At UCSD, we name our colleges to honor the lasting contributions of individuals and the important causes behind these individuals.

At Thurgood Marshal College, we are extremely proud to reflect on the profound achievements and social progressiveness of Justice Thurgood Marshall.

His memory is as vital as the countless American grandchildren from 1954’s Brown v. Board of Education.

The published caricature of Thurgood Marshall in last Monday’s Guardian, seen in the context expressed above, left the TMC staff perplexed and even upset.

Sometimes the venerable Sunday New York Times will put out a column questioning the poor judgment from a previous issue’s photograph or political cartoon.

From my viewpoint I know you guys can fly higher and I expect the Guardian to do one better than issue a retraction.

Throughout the academic year, pick up and energize the positive, progressive ideas from Justices Thurgood Marshall, Earl Warren and Louis Brandeis.

Further, give more advance coverage to the weekly cultural events (African American studies inaugural reception) and public speaking addresses (e.g. Juan Williams at Mandeville on Nov. 17).

— Allan Havis

Thurgood Marshall

College Provost