Hiatus Weekly Calendar

All tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling (619) 220-8497 or by going to http://www.ticketmaster.com, unless noted.

10 Thursday

With the spirit of early British punk bands like The Clash, The Living End will rock `Canes Bar & Grill. With hits such as “”Prisoner of Society”” and “”Roll On,”” these Australian lads are sure to put on a great show. Tickets cost $10, and the show starts at 8 p.m.

Latin jazz innovator Pancho Sanchez will perform at the Belly Up Tavern at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $12.

The Paladins have toured with Stevie Ray Vaughn, Los Lobos, and the Fabulous Thunderbirds. Their appeal captures people ranging from `50s blues fans to hard rock fans. The Paladins will perform at The Casbah. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. Call (619) 232-4355 for ticket prices and information.

11 Friday

Blues guitar veteran Tommy Castro will perform at 4th & B. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are listed at $10.21.

DJ Andy Smith of the popular group Portishead will be on the decks at The Casbah. But don’t expect the dreamy sounds of Portishead, because Smith wants you to dance to his ecliptic selection of records. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. Go to Ticketmaster for tickets and prices.

Ocean Beach natives Convoy blend Rolling Stones-style guitar riffs, country music and a bit of a hippie flavor. They will be at the Belly Up Tavern as a part of their Southern California tour. Tickets are $7 and the performance starts at 9:15 p.m.

12 Saturday

San Diego has suddenly become the center of electronic music with the Electric Music Festival coming to the San Diego Sports Arena. Paul Oakenfold, Dave Ralph, Donald Glaude, Jon Bishop and many others will round out a sound that includes trance, breaks, house and drum ‘n’ bass. The block-rocking beats start at 8 p.m. and they won’t stop until 4 a.m. Tickets are $40. Look to future hiatus issues for special coverage from the Electric Music Festival.

13 Sunday

Country music favorite Brooks and Dunn will be at Coors Amphitheatre. They bring with them their Neon Circus & Wild West show. The show starts at 6:30 p.m. and tickets start at $32.

The Geriatric Punk Rockers, along with One Foot in the Grave and Left for Dead, will be at The Casbah. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. Call (619) 232-4355 for prices and ticket information.

15 Tuesday

Jazz legend Chick Corea brings the Chick Corea New Trio to the Neurosciences Insitute Auditorium on John Jay Hopkins Drive. Corea has made his own unique mark on the Latin jazz scene and has also worked with Miles Davis’ band. Tickets are $23 and show times are at 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. Call (858) 454-5872 for more information.

17 Thursday

The B-52s are back and they have continued to perform after losing guitarist Ricky Wilson to AIDS in 1985 and the retirement of sister Cindy Wilson in 1990. But Cindy rejoined the band in 1998, and it will perform at Humphrey’s Concerts by the Bay. But with tickets at $55, you have to really love their new wave sound. Show starts at 7:30 p.m.

Join The Voodoo Glow Skulls, Chencha Berrinches, Las 15 Letras, Earthquake Institute and more at the Aztlan Fest 2001 in Imperial Beach at Fiesta Hall on Palm Avenue. Purchase tickets by May 13, 2001 for $16 and $20 after. Call (619) 575-0937 or (619) 233-1129 for show times and ticket information.