UCSD Club Sports

Equestrian Team

The UCSD equestrian team had its final home show of the year at Clark’s Ranch this weekend. As usual, the team dominated most of the categories.

Over 50 competitors came to Clark’s Ranch to strut their stuff. Representatives from Cal Poly Pomona, University of San Diego and University of Southern California were are well represented.

UCSD’s Stacey Sakai was clearly the star of the weekend. She took first place in both intermediate flats and intermediate fences. She also earned the title of High Point Champion Rider for Saturday.

UCSD’s Heather Thurgood showed her mad skills Sunday, taking first in the intermediate flat and third over fences, earning her the High Point Champion Rider award for Sunday. Other top UCSD competitors were Lisa Calvino with a first place in open over fences, Cindy Hung with her second-place performance in Sunday’s walk/trot, Maya Frank with a second spot in Saturday’s novice flat, and Rachel White with a second in Sunday’s intermediate flat.

Next up for the UCSD Equestrian team is the event Feb. 17 through Feb. 18 at USD’s facility at Benbridge Farms.

Cycling Team

Last weekend, the UCSD cycling team hosted the UCSD Grand Prix. Riders of all skill levels from different parts of the country came to compete. This is the eighth year UCSD has hosted the event.

Saturday’s race was held in the mountains east of here in Boulevard. The course was a 22.4 mile hilly loop.

UCSD’s Pete Knudsen lead the “”A”” category with a fourth-place finish. Matt Sadukuas took first in the “”B”” category and Eric Mellers took third in the “”C”” category.

For the women, Ester Merki took third in the “”A”” category and Sabrina Morris took third in the B category.

On Sunday, the competitors raced on a course in El Cajon. Knudson placed fourth in the men’s A, Jason Goldberg took fifth in the men’s B, Chris Delnegro placed first in the men’s C, Sharon Smith took second in the women’s A and Morris secured third in the women’s B.

The weekend after next, the UCSD Cycling team travels for a competition at Claremont.

Ski/Board

The last weekend in January featured a congregation of the top skiers and snowboarders at Mammoth Lakes, including those from UCSD. Other schools represented were UCLA, UC Santa Barbara and San Diego State.

The weekend was not exactly a great one as far as conditions were concerned. When the team arrived, they found their cabin flooded because of an exploded pipe. Also, the ski competition on Saturday was canceled because of poor weather conditions, and snowboarders were forced to race in low visibility.

UCSD’s top finishers were Amy Sage, who took first place in the Saturday snowboard competition, and Mirek Knopp, who finished third for the men.

Sunday, Sage took second for the women and Stan Wu placed seventh for the men.

Mother nature was a little nicer for the skiers Sunday, and they had the opportunity to show why they came.

Top UCSD finisher Danielle Krockett took first and Ann Leonard finished fifth for the women. For the UCSD men, Tyler Zarubin took sixth and Travis Ritchie placed seventh.

The UCSD ski and snowboard team’s next competition is on Feb. 10 through Feb. 11, again at Mammoth

Ice Hockey

The UCSD ice hockey team traveled North, engaging in two fierce battles with rivals UC Davis and Sacramento State.

UCSD was successful in both ventures.

Against Davis, Andrew Jacobsen and Chris Varga gave UCSD an early 2-0 lead, but their opponents battled back to tie it.

Will Thomas scored for UCSD in the second period, but the team found themselves on the low end of a 5-3 score at the end of the period.

The two schools traded goals, with UCSD’s Scott Anderson scoring to bring his team to 6-4.

Shortly after that, UCSD got going and Varga and Garen Garvey each scored to tie the game. With three minutes left, Keith Davis finished the comeback with a shot, giving UCSD the 7-6 win.

In the game against Sacramento, however, things were a little different. UCSD exploded on offense, winning 13-0.

UCSD next hosts San Jose State Friday at 10:15 p.m. at UTC.

Upcoming Events

Friday, Feb. 9

Ice hockey vs. San Jose State at UTC, 10:15 p.m.

Men’s rugby at University of Arizona, 1 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 10

Women’s lacrosse vs. UCLA at Warren Field, 1 p.m.

Women’s Rugby vs. Claremont at Warren Field, 11 a.m.

Ski/board at Mammoth Mountain, all day

Ice hockey at California State University Northridge, 10:15 p.m.

Sunday, Feb. 11

Men’s rugby at Arizona State, 1 p.m.

Men’s lacrosse at Claremont, 1 p.m.

Women’s lacrosse at University of Arizona, 1 p.m.

–Compiled by Robert Fulton