Men’s Golf Finishes 12th At Two Day Event

Photos by UCSD Athletics
Photos by UCSD Athletics

On Tuesday, the UCSD men’s golf team finished 12th out of 16 teams at the InterWest Insurance Wildcat Classic hosted by Chico State at Butte Creek Country Club. The Tritons ended the 54 holes with a total score of 904 which was good for 40-over-par. They shot a 300 in the final round on Tuesday in addition to totals of 298 and 306 on the first day. UCSD was fifth after 18 holes and 11th after two rounds of play.

“The team bounced back and played better today,” UCSD head coach Jim Ragan told UCSD Athletics on Tuesday. “We have some work to do in order to achieve the consistency we need for success.”

Sophomore Jake Haselden was the leading scorer for UCSD as he tied for 36th with an 8-over-224 on the par-72 course. He finished the tournament with scores of 737972. Haselden’s last round was the lowest by any Triton over the two-day tournament.

Other notable UCSD players were junior Mateusz Kucz (757575225, T-42nd), freshman Adam Navigato (747677227, T-51st), freshman Hayden Hui (807678234, T-74th) and freshman Jacob Johnson (768576237, T-80th).

Senior Drew Robbins, in his first tournament of the season, played as an individual and did not count for team scoring, finishing tied for 31st with a total of 223 (737575).

In a tiebreaker, tournament host Chico State won the team title over Western Washington. Both teams ended with a score of 13-over-par total of 877, but the Wildcats had a lower score when the throwaway totals were added. Twelfth-ranked California Baptist finished third with an 879, 15-over-par score.

The individual medalist was freshman Nic Beno from the Colorado School of Mines. He was the leader of the 91-player field with a 2-under-par 214. Beno’s scores were 717172.

Freshman Andrew Fernandes from Cal State Dominguez Hills and sophomore Kyle McLay from Holy Names were just one stroke behind Beno and tied for second place.

UCSD ends its fall schedule Oct. 1718 at the Otter Fall Invitational hosted by Cal State Monterey Bay at Bayonet in Seaside.