Men’s Soccer Crushes Sonoma State For Fifth Shutout Of The Season

Photo by Christian Duarte
Photo by Christian Duarte

UCSD men’s soccer battled the Sonoma State Seawolves at a home game last Friday afternoon. The Tritons’ solid defense was able to prevent the opposing team from scoring for the fifth time this season.

Despite defensive superiority, UCSD was unable to ferment any offensive power and ended the game in a 0–0 tie. The Tritons moved to 6–1–2 for the season and 1–1–1 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association, remaining undefeated at home with a 6–0–1 record. The Seawolves now have a 3–2–4 record for the regular season and 3–1–1 in CCAA.

UCSD was closest to breaking the stalemate during the second half of the match when senior midfielder Nick Palano got a cross into the back post. Junior forward Malek Bashti was able to make a connection but missed wide right.

Sonoma State had a chance of its own late in the game on a blast from SSU freshman midfielder Evan Roehrig. Senior goalkeeper Cameron McElfresh made the stop, recording his fourth save of the game and pushing for overtime.

Though the results may not show it, the Tritons dominated most of the game. They managed to outshoot Sonoma State 16–8 and controlled the ball for a majority of the match. UCSD’s four defenders, senior Kuba Waligorski, junior Nolan Mac, sophomore Jeff Powers and freshman Kelvin Uribe, stayed in the entire 110 minutes and held the opposing team scoreless for the second game in a row.

The Tritons will go on to play another league match this against Humboldt State. They hope to improve to 2-1-1 on Sunday, Oct. 2 at home at 11:30 a.m.