Album Review: “Weezer (White Album)” by Weezer

Rating: A-
Release Date: 4/1

Weezer has been known as a nerdy garage-type band since its start in the ‘90s, but that doesn’t mean its members don’t know how to uplift an audience during a show. They can go from soft, croony tunes to vibrant “in-your-face” anthems all in one album and still retain the listener’s attention. Their ninth release, “Everything Will Be Alright In The End,” was a decent album with an abundance of distorted guitar sounds that captured their metal-influenced phase. However, on “Weezer (White Album),” they recruited producer Jake Sinclair, whose obsession with their classic ‘90s sound led to a beautifully created compilation of their classic grunge intricacies and powerful lyrics.

Weezer’s fourth self-titled album contains a blend of guitar-heavy and acoustic ballads. Listeners’ first look into the album was through the multi-instrumental single “Thank God For Girls,” where lead singer Rivers Cuomo delivers a catchy tune that mixes in some rap but still maintains the favorable rock-anthem attitude as in its older single “Beverly Hills.” The album opener, “California Kids,” finds Cuomo reviving his harmonizing expertise over riveting guitar strokes that give the album a perfect introduction into a nostalgic journey. Going down the tracklist, the songs only get better and better with “King Of The World” as the highlight. As an ode to his wife, Cuomo redefines the perfect husband through raging guitar riffs: He sings of being his wife’s shoulder to cry on and addresses her plane phobia by suggesting they “ride the greyhound all the way to the Galapagos.” Definitely the same old sweet Cuomo.

Most bands’ ‘back to form’ albums are hollow shells, halting progression as artists in the name of nostalgia: Uninspired retreading and fan disappointment are too often the heart-wrenching outcome of a band’s last days. Nonetheless, Weezer dodged a bullet by producing what might be the band’s best album since “Weezer (Blue Album),” with Cuomo’s vibrant vocals in “L.A Girlz” and “Jacked Up” resembling those of “Undone – The Sweater Song” and recalling those golden years. The usual themes of girl troubles and young, foolish times are still evident, however, with aged perspectives through protruding verses. Lyrics like “Do you want to get away with me? Do you want to face the great unknown” and “Keep on doing what you do, ‘Cuz I’ll never get tired of you” keep the themes of youthful love and adventures alive all throughout. Although these lyrics get too cheesy at times, one can’t resist them when they come from Cuomo’s mouth.

Finally, the album finishes its time of recollection with the acoustic ballad “Endless Bummer,” giving off a classic “Island in the Sun” vibe. Weezer, after many years of mediocre albums, finally delivers memorable rock numbers that live up to the name.