Album Review: “Palana” by Charlie Hilton

Charlie Hilton proves she is the new female indie icon in her first solo release, “Palana.”

Rating: 4.0/5.0
Release Date: Jan. 22

There is one rising female artist with soft, angel-like vocals of her own, and no, it’s not Lana Del Rey. Charlie Hilton, lead singer from Oregon-based indie band Blouse, recently parted ways from the band and released her first ever solo album, “Palana.” With heartfelt and soulful vocals, Hilton delivers a personal output of her experiences of meaningful love and carefree living. Indeed, her sound is reminiscent of a soft-rock version of Lana del Rey.

The word “palana” means “protection” in her native language, Sanskrit. In her early youth, Hilton’s parents anointed her with that moniker, and while recording her first solo album, she believed it would be the best manner in which to express her transition from her introverted attitude through song. The title track begins the album in a dreamlike mood with a soothing orchestra where Hilton introduces her uniform, angelic voice. Songs like “Funny Anyway,” “Let’s Go To A Party” and “Young” represent her easygoing attitude with a creative mashup of instruments to create a loose, mellow vibe. By combining the saxophone and synthesizer — a pairing not usually attempted — Hilton puts herself in a distinct category under the broader genre of indie rock, one that isn’t solely a reiteration of trendy alternative styles. Additionally, lyrics like “I’m only happy when I’m dancing for you” musically reflect Hilton’s journey in becoming more comfortable in her own skin.

Although some listeners initially might miss the appeal of the dark, deep melodies and lush synthesizer in the album, Hilton successfully attempts to explore themes relative to her past, all while connecting with listeners. “Pony” portrays Hilton’s new independent attitude post-Blouse. She sings of failed relationships and separations with harsh, direct lyrics. “Get off my back, I’m not your pony” is an empowering chorus to blurt out cathartically, all the while maintaining the synth’s laid-back tempo. In the album’s single “100 Million,” Hilton teams up with indie veteran Mac DeMarco to deliver a profound duet, singing of an everlasting yet troubled love. With gratifying harmonies and pleasant strokes of their guitars, this final track is clearly the highlight of the album when compared to its other dark tracks.

“Palana” incorporates dark and desolated vocals throughout that many may not find amusing, so if you are the type of person who is into upbeat EDM anthems, this album may not satisfy you. However, Hilton’s vocal talent cannot be understated. She combines emotion with sensational orchestrated mashups. With her creative side coming to life through song, “Palana” contains tracks that will successfully change the way of indie tunes with her unique voice.