Quick Takes: Paris Climate Agreement

The Paris Climate Agreement, COP21, marked a pivotal moment for climate change on a global scale. 195 separate nations entered a legally binding agreement to combat global warming.

COP21 Shows Promise for Greener Future by Creating a Realistic Plan for Both Businesses and Countries

Last month’s Paris Climate Agreement, COP21, demonstrates that since the 15th session of the Conference of the Parties, COP15, the world as a group of nations has become more prepared and willing to prioritize — not just recognize — climate change.

The most promising and prevalent element of the agreement is to set 1.5 degrees Celsius as the maximum warming level — a new low that will prevent dangerous and consequential climate impacts for vulnerable Pacific Island nations. Additionally, the agreement recognizes the diverse needs across different types of nations and obligates all countries to review their emissions reduction. According to the New York Times, it also dedicates an article toward Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation, which is essential because forestry, agriculture and land-use account for almost a quarter of emissions worldwide. 

The reason COP21 shows realistic promise and contrasts the divisive ambiguity of Copenhagen’s COP15 is that it gathered all 195 countries at one table to commit to — not hint at — addressing climate change globally. Olai Uludong, Palau’s ambassador to the European Union, witnessed a group of developing nations up and leave COP15. According to the New Yorker, she described this year’s conference as “a completely different dynamic between the developed and the developing countries.” This dynamic is key in addressing the unique contributions needed by different nations in order to achieve the agreement’s goals and is shown in the terms which hold developed nations accountable for their intended nationally determined contributions while promising funding for small island states.

Perhaps the largest factor of COP21’s success is the engagement of large businesses in the private sector. The global climate company, Unilever, and other large businesses announced plans to cut down on deforestation. This is a major advance as, collectively, companies pledging climate action represent about half of global GDP. Greenbiz, an environmental research group and news network, reported that pledges came from “5,000 diverse global companies representing virtually every sector.”

With an ambitious agreement in place, it’s ultimately up to the individual countries as well — particularly the U.S. — to hold up their end of the deal in ensuring that the terms of the agreement are being implemented nationally. Nonetheless, COP21 shows a pragmatic approach to addressing and reducing climate change and the world’s carbon footprint.

— QUINN PIEPER Staff Writer

The Global Climate Agreement Fails to Offer Attainable Goals for Which Nations Can be Held Accountable 

The Paris Climate Accord, in which 195 nations entered a legally binding agreement to fight climate change, is being heralded worldwide as a groundbreaking achievement for our planet. In comparison to past attempts to reach international agreement on climate change, the Paris Summit was surprisingly successful. Although this accord is a step in the right direction, the terms of the agreement fall short of an attainable reality.

One of the major takeaways from Paris was the agreement to limit global warming at 1.5 degrees Celsius, an impossible goal given our current situation. In order to achieve this target, countries would have to go above and beyond the promises made in Paris. According to analysis by the Climate Action Tracker, if all countries followed through with their promises the planet would warm by approximately 2.7 degrees Celsius by 2100. With BBC reporting that 2015 was on its way to being the hottest year on record and global temperatures set to rise more than one degree Celsius above pre-industrial levels, nations will have to put stricter measures in place to meet the Paris goal of 1.5 degrees.

This is where the second major shortcoming of the Paris accord comes in: There are no legal consequences that hold nations accountable to meeting their targets except mandatory reviews of emission reduction targets. According to BBC, the emission targets themselves are not legally binding. Al Jazeera notes that civil society is burdened with holding nations accountable and pressuring them to act more aggressively to save the planet. Without a clear and strict structure to hold each nation accountable and punish their failures, we will not live up to the Paris Accord.

Ironically, the Guardian and the New York Times commented that the terms of the Paris agreement would have been achievable back in 1995, during the first UN climate change conference. However, procrastination, lobbying and political division have lead us to the point of no return. Even as global leaders celebrated their landmark agreement in Paris, a huge flood in Chennai, India killed hundreds of people and destroyed a city of 500 million. All over the world climate change is already affecting people’s lives, and the empty promises of political leaders smiling and shaking hands isn’t going to achieve enough.

—  SOPHIE OSBORN, Staff Writer