Letter to the Editor: UCSD Bus Stop and Public Transportation

Dear UCSD Guardian,

I am junior at Eleanor Roosevelt College this letter is to suggest some useful modification which will benefit those who use the public transportation. Firstly, I must say that university’s public transportations, both university shuttles and city’s MTS system, have been continuously developing. However, at the same time I see rooms for improvement that I hope everyone to notice.

There are two main concerns regarding the current situations that some students must face using the public transportation.

First one refers to current bus routes. As of now, both San Diego MTS buses and school buses entering the school run in the same direction. For both buses, their routes are same as follow, Costa Verde – Regents & Arriba – Palmilla & Nobel – Nobel & Lebon. The problem is that since two bus system share the same route, the students waiting at the three stations toward the end of the route often cannot utilize our public transportation system because MTS usually gets filled up with students at the first two stops. By altering University school shuttle to per say run in the opposite direction of MTS can help more students to utilize public transportation.

Second one refers to lack of guide line in one of the bust stop at school. The bus stop for 201 at UCSD’s Gilman and Myers, one right below the Center Hall, almost seems impossible to form an adequate lines that ensure the first come student be first served. As of now, without any guide line to form a civilized line to get onboard on the bus, student gather around in circle in front of bus’ entrance to find their way to on board. Such lack of order and human civil can lead to disaster in the future. Therefore, I hope we can easily solve the issue by placing a guide line or a waiting line. I am not saying that the students not forming a line lack morality but to say that they simply need a guidance in maintaining order.

Public Transportation have been and will continuously be a major aid for the university students and faculties to reach their destination. Use of public transportation can help alleviate many of environmental issues we nowadays face. I hope by writing this letter, I have at least suggested the problems that need to be handled.

Hoyoun Keum
Junior, Eleanor Roosevelt