Letter to the Editor: Recycling on Campus

Hello. My name is Katherine Ha. I am a junior transfer student at UCSD. I am writing to you to talk about the issue of recycling that we have on campus. Although we have plenty of recycling trash bins all around campus, they are not being utilized as well as they can be. I know a lot of students that simply dump their trash in whatever trash can in closest or most convenient. Another thing I noticed is that the composite, regular trashcan, and recycle bins at the different food places and cafeterias confuse a lot of students. A lot of food is going to waste, and a lot of what isn’t supposed to be recycled is being dumped into the recycle I think there should be something to be done about this issue because recycling really does help out with the environment.  I think it would be good if we tried to have a better system of taking care of our trash in a way that would promote recycling throughout our school. I am bringing this issue up to the UCSD Guardian because I think it would also be helpful if there was a piece done about recycling in order to bring more awareness of its importance to the student body.

Sincerely,
Katherine Ha
Junior