5/6 A.S. Council

The council meeting kicked off with a Special Presentation by Ben White, director of the UCSD Office of Student Conduct, to discuss this year’s revisions to the Student Conduct Code. White reported 45 cases of students selling their student ID cards for entry into the Sun God Festival, a spike from the typical two or three cases in previous years.

When the floor was opened up to questions, AVP Sierra Donaldson asked White to explain how campuses handle sexual assault cases. Marshall Senator Michael Zhong brought up the nationwide discussion about whether or not students should be involved on panels on student conduct cases relating to sexual assault.

Campuswide Senator Jeremy Snyder followed with a presentation on Triton Food Pantry usage. When asked how those at the Food Pantry can tell if students who come to pick up food are actually in need, Snyder noted that students who pick up full meals rather than snacks are more likely to be in need of the service.

Muir Senator Isabelle Pinard suggested reaching out to athletes who could fulfill their volunteer requirements on campus by working at the Triton Food Pantry.

During Reports of External News, council members watched news clips from the BBC, CNN and Vice News. Dominick Suvonnasupa pointed out that The Community Centers is holding an open space to have a community discussion about the unrest in Baltimore, Maryland on Thursday, May 6, from 12 to 2 p.m. and encouraged council members to tell their friends.

The meeting moved into New Business during which members discussed the resolution to name Sixth College after a woman of color. VP External Affairs Allyson Osorio stressed the importance of student support and the necessity of passing the resolution. Council subsequently voted to table the resolution for one week.

When A.S. Advisor Hayley Weddle asked council members some of the questions they planned on asking Vice Chancellor Student Affairs Juan Gonzalez, responses consisted of issues such as sexual assault, demographics of the incoming freshman class, campus parking and the proposal of an advisor for the UCSD Guardian.

In the midst of Open Forum, Transfer Senator Brad Knutsen expressed disappointment in A.S. Council for not having a table at Transfer Triton Day.

On a lighter note, Osorio offered words of advice for all the new College Senators at the end of their first A.S. Council.