Tritons Place Sixth at Hanny Stanislaus Invitational

Photo by UCSD Athletics
    Photo by UCSD Athletics

Junior Jeff Roseth hits a career high to lead the Tritons.

Photo by UCSD Athletics
    Photo by UCSD Athletics

After a two-week hiatus, the UCSD men’s golf team returned to action for the 42nd annual Hanny Stanislaus Invitational, placing sixth out of a field of 18 and collectively shooting a 914 in the two-day tournament. Junior Jeff Roseth led the way for the Tritons, tying for 12th.

The competition included all eight schools from the California Collegiate Athletics Association, six of which finished in the top seven of the tournament. Cal State Monterey Bay easily took the top spot with a wire-to-wire victory, hitting an 880 in the three-round tournament. The Otters had a 15-stroke advantage over second-place Cal State San Marcos.

The Tritons ended day one with a 607, 31 over par, good for eighth place. Roseth had a spectacular first round, hitting 3-under par in round one to tie for first with the tournament champion Anton Rosen, a sophomore from Cal State Monterey Bay. Roseth, however, would drop down 14 spots in the standings later in the day with a second round score of 80, 8-over par. The team would place in 8th at the end of day one.

“As a team, we competed well the entire day and showed improvement,” UCSD head coach Jim Ragan told the UCSD Athletic Department.

Roseth recovered with a 75 the following day in round three, which propelled him back up three spots for a 12th place finish out of 94 players.

“Jeff really bounced back to shoot a solid 75 in tough conditions,” Ragan said.

Roseth’s teammate senior Jay Lim finished the tournament tied for 25th (229). Following closely behind Lim was junior Daniel Yang, who finished in 30th with a score of 230. After placing sixth in the Pioneer Shootout two weeks ago, junior Clayton Yamaguchi had an underwhelming performance at Stanislaus, finishing with a tie for 60th. Sophomore Rocky Hall rounded out the Triton players, finishing in 78th place.

“The team continued to improve and played well today,” Ragan said. “The wind was blowing all day, so the scores were not as low as round one, but the effort was equally as good.”

UCSD’s sixth place finish marked the highest-placing finish of the season. Roseth’s 12th place finish was also a career best.

The Tritons will have less than a week to prepare for their potential final outing of the season when they travel to Stockton for the CCAA Championships, which will be held from April 20 to 22 at Brookside Country Club.