UCSD Remembers Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Martin Luther King Jr. weekend ended with a bang on Sunday, Jan. 18.

About 120 members of the San Diego community participated in the 35th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Parade and Day of Service held at Pence Elementary School. The majority of the participants, almost 100 strong, were UCSD members. The event was sponsored by UCSD’s Center for Student Involvement — Community Service Team, Associated Students and Volunteer 50.

“UC San Diego’s participation lets the San Diego community know that we are committed to diversity and equality,” parade coordinator Darlene Mercado said.

Students marched behind a banner declaring the theme “Freedom through Education,” donning smiles and fresh faces. The UCSD student body expressed its commitment to community and public service and stands behind King’s words “Freedom through Education,” which promote the idea that education is valuable. The Center for Student Involvement, the leading office in coordinating the participation of all six colleges, started planning for the Martin Luther King Jr. Parade in early October 2014. More than 20 departments on campus helped cover the cost for UCSD students to attend the citywide event. Donations from campus supporters also took care of event expenses, which include buses and T-shirts.

Last year, more than 500 students and staff members joined in on the march to commemorate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. This year, the new Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Juan Gonzales led the UCSD group.

Aside from the parade, there was a portion of service. Adult volunteers and students came together to carry out activities, such as the retouching the murals at Pence Elementary School and painting bricks to beautify the school garden. An arts and crafts section was held for Pence students to write letters of what King meant to them. Additionally, UCSD students, including Carlos de la Torre, a Muir College junior, held a panel to educate the children about aspects of college, such as the different kinds of colleges — private and public — as well as the college lifestyle.

The Martin Luther King Jr. Parade and Day of Service remind the UCSD community that, by coming together and encouraging diversity, we can achieve more. King’s quote, “Freedom through Education” certainly rings true when we work together to promote education in order to improve situations and reach greater heights.