1/14 A.S. Council Meeting

1/14 A.S. Council Meeting

Hi everybody, I’m back! And totally thrilled to be! Actually no. I’m dreading the next three hours. Three hours. At least.

All the spending changes were killed off in legislative committee. Thank you, legislative committee. You are actually doing your job, which is more than I can say about some of your fellow council members. I cannot believe fellow students would come up with an absolutely ridiculous amendment that perpetuates socioeconomic disparities and discourages potentially qualified candidates from running for office because they cannot afford to invest enough to have a real shot at winning. How very democratic.

Next, the All Campus Commuter Board held a special digital presentation, followed by AVP Enterprise Operations Austin Peters’ presentation which did not use technology.

Peters mentioned that A.S. Lecture Notes might go digital after some tests. Also, A.S. Enterprises plans to close A.S. Soft Reserves, which “isn’t doing so hot” — Soft Reserves has been losing money over the past few years. He also announced that he will be transitioning out after this quarter because he wants to go to graduate school and cannot dedicate himself fully to academics, his job and A.S. Council at the same time.

There was a motion to bring back a couple of motions that were unanimously voted down in legislative committee regarding referendums. Peters pointed out that if these motions were brought back to the floor, then the Campaign Finance Reform Committee will also have to come back.  A 4–17–8 vote means the motion fails, but we all know how awful and unending those debates would have been anyways.

A.S. MOVES Director Kyle Heiskala discussed how the pilot program for ID cards with integrated microchips will be ready in February. Five hundred test cards will be issued and Heiskala encouraged college councils to participate in the trial run.

Also, the theme for this year’s A.S. election is “Lego” and the motto will be “Lego Vote.” This is gonna be great; can’t wait to see how it’ll turn out.

President Robby Boparai agreed that the legislative committee did its job today and  announced that he is having office hours between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Friday. He also mentioned that he will be proposing some more changes in the upcoming weeks.

The UCAB referendums to update Price Center and fund repairs to Che Cafe failed to enter new business after some deliberation.

The sundry A.S. offices updated council of their activities. Also, the Advocate General said that any changes to the Constitution regarding elections would have to be made by Week 3. And then the meeting finally concluded a little over 30 minutes before I anticipated.