Fires Burn Over 10,000 Acres in San Diego

The Rancho Bernardo Fire, seen from the northeast end of Warren College on Wednesday night. The fire reached 1,600 acres and was 50 percent contained as of Wednesday night, according to KPBS. Photo by Alwin Szeto.
The Rancho Bernardo Fire, seen from the northeast end of Warren College on Wednesday night. The fire reached 1,600 acres and was 50 percent contained as of Wednesday night, according to KPBS. Photo by Alwin Szeto/Guardian

Over 10,000 acres of land have burned in 10 fires throughout San Diego County, as of 7:55 p.m. Thursday evening, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The first fatality of the fires was recorded in the Poinsettia fire in Carlsbad this Thursday evening, according to the City of Carlsbad Newsroom. The death was recorded when firefighters found a burned body in a transient encampment in the area during a hot spot check.

The Poinsettia brushfire had burned 400 acres and was 60 percent contained as of Thursday morning, according to the City of Carlsbad Newsroom. It has burned since 10:30 a.m. Wednesday and has caused an estimated $22.5 million in damages, including 22 homes destroyed by Thursday evening, according to KPBS San Diego. The cause of the fire was not known. Thousands had been evacuated earlier, though an evacuation order was lifted on Wednesday night.

The least contained of the fires, the 1,200-acre Cocos fire in San Marcos, is the second-largest and was 10 percent contained as of Thursday evening, according to the City of San Marcos Twitter. Investigators were looking into whether or not the fire had been caused by arson, though no suspect had been taken into custody, according to the Los Angeles Times. Three structures had been destroyed, according to Fox 5 San Diego.

Three more fires burned in the Marine Corps Air Station Camp Pendleton Thursday. The 6,000-acre Tomahawk fire, which was the largest, had jumped its containment line and continued spreading eastward toward the city of Fallbrook, KPBS reported at 7 p.m. Thursday evening. Forty power lines were damaged, although building damage was minimal, according to KPBS. Another 380-acre fire was 100 percent contained by Thursday afternoon, but a third fire, also reported Thursday afternoon, burned 600 acres and was spreading at a moderate speed, according to a press release from Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

Some progress had been made with the 1,500-acre Bernardo fire, which was the first to break out Wednesday morning. KPBS reported that the fire was 75 percent contained as of Thursday morning.

Stay updated with the UCSD Guardian for more information as this story develops.

Additional reporting by Jacqueline Kim and Aleksandra Konstantinovic.