Coffee Break: Pannikin Coffee & Tea

Coffee Break: Pannikin Coffee & Tea

A local favorite, Pannikin Coffee & Tea serves up a wide range of menu items from breakfast to brunch to early dinners. Pannikin’s spatious patio allows cafe-goers to enjoy the weather or a good book. Megan Lao /Guardian

Upon turning a corner from the modern extravagance of a Maserati dealership, there is a rare portal to the rural American past — Pannikin Coffee & Tea. Furnished with aged wood and multicultural abstract art, Pannikin has an antiquated, homey feel, coupled with the definite cleanliness of modern standards. Olden blues and jazz songs play with rooted soul throughout this cafe, finalizing a near-authentic 1930s ambiance. After conversing with a very attentive and affable barista, it’s easy to see that Pannikin’s specialties are coffee, tea and baked goods.

Pannikin offers a wide array of coffees, ranging from common drinks such as the “White Mocha” to their specialties such as the “Jimi Hendrix.” Rich with flavor and in no way compromising potent roasts for dashes of sweetness, Pannikin serves a strong blend worthy of any coffee connoisseur. “White,” “Chai” and “Earl Grey” are just some of the many teas also available for those who seek a lighter drink still packed with flavor.

Situated conveniently in Pannikin’s front display case is an assortment of all-natural muffins and savory quiches, perfect for quick, grab-and-go bites. The muffins have an organic, chunky feel, unrestrained by the typical household metallic molds of the 21st century. With a generous serving of fruit in muffins, flavors such as blueberry-banana or cranberry-apple stand out with distinctly unique tastes. Though definitely flavorful and texturally satisfying, the muffins have one downside: They’re pretty dry. Coupled with a thirst-quenching drink, however, this minor issue is easily resolved. Turning away from sweets, Pannikin also offers delectable quiches in two appetizing flavors: spinach and ham. After choosing the perfect slice, customers have the option of adding rich, melted cheddar cheese on top. The quiches have a firm, spongy texture packed with a plethora of savory goodness. The only paltry complaint is the blandness of the crust. Because the quiches, like muffins, are pre-made, the crisp, flaky crusts that they originally possessed are not as apparent after half a day in the counter. However, this minor shortcoming pales greatly in comparison to the overall filling, mouth watering satisfaction that the appetizer provides.

Pannikin is definitely a one-of-a-kind wonder. Whether you’re looking for a change of ambiance or just an appetizing, all-natural snack, Pannikin Coffee & Tea is the eccentric, charming cafe for you.