College Councils Reject Bylaws, O’Neal Talks Nudity

College Councils Reject Bylaws, ONeal Talks Nudity

“I’ve been here every week this quarter, so I don’t need to introduce myself,” said — guess who — Kyle Heiskala.

Last night, Heiskala did not come with SOVAC or ASUCSD Moves; he came to council to introduce incoming Director of Public Affairs for University Communications and Public Affairs Denise Serrano.

Next, members of the Union of Jewish Students, including the Guardian’s own Zev Hurwitz, invited councilmembers to their Community Shabbat this Friday night.
“We didn’t request A.S. funding for this one, so yeah, you guys aren’t paying for this,” Hurwitz said. “Take that as you will.”

CALPIRG Campus Organizer Alex Acuna announced that CALPIRG’s quarterly pledge drive will be happening next week, meaning that many students will soon be wondering where the $10 deduction in their TritonLink Account Activity came from.

Steven Partida was announced as the new Multicultural Greek Council Representative; then, VP Finance Sean O’Neal presented on behalf of the Vagina Monologues. He announced that this year, Vagina Monologues want to celebrate mens’ opinions of vaginas and will give free donuts and coffee to men who agree to talk lightheartedly about vaginas in a short video.

A.S. President Andy Buselt announced that the transportation referendum may be moved to the general election, rather than being voted on during the special election, due to language amendments.

Tensions finally mounted when Marshall Senator Kathleen Maguire explained why Marshall College Council had not passed A.S. Council’s revised bylaws. Sixth College also declined to pass the constitution, but this week, Marshall took all the heat.

Marshall seemed pessimistic about the constitution and negative about the process as a whole.

Student Council of ERC tabled voting to pass the constitution until next week, so President Andy Buselt wrote a document to move the filing period for new candidates from Week 5 to Week 6 of Winter Quarter, allowing time for ERC to pass the constitution.

After recent racist hate crimes on their campus, black student activists at San Jose State University sent a resolution for UC student governments to pass in solidarity with the school’s anti-racist agenda. A clause in the resolution stating that UCSD was inherently responsible for these crimes (based on our not-so-clean history when it comes to race relations) led to a meandering, drawn-out discussion, amending and un-amending and multiple votes.

The quote of the night came from Sean O’Neal:

“I think it’s really sad that it’s illegal to be nude on campus,” O’Neal said. “I think it’s a really good form of self expression, and I really encourage all of you to engage in it.”

What, Sean, is the undie run not good enough for you?

Finally, the meeting spiraled into a friendly Super Bowl debate, which only ended with an interjection from Revelle Senator Soren Nelson.

“Just a shout-out to those of us who don’t give a fuck,” Nelson said. “Go, Team America!”

Someone else said, “Go, halftime!”

To all this, I say, “Go, commercials!”

Have a happy Super Bowl Sunday, everyone. I’ll be back next week.