What Came True/What Didn’t Happen

What Came True/What Didnt Happen

Earlier this year, The Guardian wrote a wishlist of the things we wanted to see in 2013.  We didn’t get everything we wanted

What Came True…

1. A Sun God Festival lineup that includes names that we actually recognize

This year, A.S. Concerts and Events nailed the Sun God Festival. We applauded the team for getting up and coming hip-hop artist Kendrick Lamar, disc jockey Porter Robinson and indie-rock band Portugal. the Man at Sun God 2013.

KendrickLamar_KhanhNguyen

2. No more “mullet clothing”

The mullet-clothing trend could not have died any sooner; the high-low skirt trend is out and the ‘90’s are back in. Say hello (again) to crop tops, high-waisted everything and flannel plaids tied around the waist. It’s officially acceptable to go thrifting or borrow (some of) your mom’s old clothes.

3. A replacement for Espresso Roma

We wanted Espresso Roma gone, and it’s officially on its way out. The University Centers Advisory Board voted Starbucks to replace Cafe Roma in Price Center 11-4-0. Bring on the Frappucinos!

Starbucks_JennyPark

What Didn’t Happen…

1. Better food at dining halls

We wish we could say UCSD got better dining hall food this year, but since Plaza Cafe died and was replaced by an Incredi-Bowls food truck, we can’t. We guess we’ll forever live in the culinary shadow of UCLA.

2. Modest tuition hikes

We asked for modest tuition hikes, and we got none at all. Last month, UC President Napolitano announced that our tuition would stay at the same rate for another year. Keeping a UC education affordable should always be a top priority. Let’s hope we can keep this consistent in 2014.

HappyStudents_JeffLau

3. A.S. Council held more accountable for how it spends money

It seems like Council will never get out of the woods. Council was able to have the smallest over-allocation in the budget, but still put money in the wrong places. What we want is money for our student orgs, not money to fund freer pancake breakfasts.

4. A catchy song that isn’t “Call Me Maybe”

Instead of the bubble-gum innocence of “Call Me Maybe,” we got twerking teddy bears (courtesy of Miley Cyrus), a distasteful ode to date rape in “Blurred Lines” and too much “Summertime Sadness.”

5. Greek housing and, generally, more fun at UCSD

With new fraternity Beta Theta Pi and sorority Alpha Omicron Pi joining us this year and our current housing overflow problem, it’s time to get more conversations for Greek housing going.