Tritons Mauled by First Place Bruins

Tritons Mauled by First Place Bruins

9962273696_f12a08058a_o

The Tritons fell to No. 1-ranked UCLA 17-2 in front of a crowd of over 1,000 people

Last Friday the UCSD men’s water polo team took on the top-seeded UCLA Bruins and lost 17–2. Setting the stage for the Tritons to take on the No. 1-ranked Bruins, just over 1,000 fans were in attendance to commemorate 30 years of water polo at the Canyonview East Pool. Despite the difficult loss, UCSD head coach Denny Harper was still happy with the turnout.

“Everything was great except for the water polo,” Harper said after the game.

Sophomores Chase Cockerill and Jeffery Jarvis are credited with one goal each for UCSD, while junior Triton goalkeeper Cameron Ravanbach managed a respectable eight saves against the powerhouse Bruins offense.

The game began on a high note for the Tritons with UCSD winning the sprint and junior Matt Michalko taking the first shot attempt of the game. A turnover quickly led UCLA to draw the first blood with the opening goal, but the UCLA onslaught wouldn’t stop with the initial volley, as five UCLA players managed to score in the opening minutes, including two goals by Aimone Barabino. The first quarter ended with the Tritons absent on the scoreboard despite a great effort by the squad to find the back of the Bruins’ cage.

In the second quarter, the Tritons quickly found themselves back on their side of the pool as UCLA’s squad repeatedly scored in the first few minutes. Harper noted the Bruins’ exceptional lineup.

“This is one of the best Bruins teams I’ve seen in recent memory,” Harper said. They were on a mission.”

The third quarter was equally as tough for the Tritons, ending with UCLA up 16–0.

The fourth quarter was the only period that the Tritons outscored the Bruins as both Cockerill and Jarvis found the net. The crowd, eager to see the Tritons on the scoreboard, erupted in cheer.

The Tritons will go on the road hungry for redemption. In his postgame remarks, Harper was optimistic that his now-7–8 crew would “get that taste out of their mouth soon.”

With five games in three days next week, the Tritons had better do so and quickly. UCSD will meet California Baptist University next Friday, UC Riverside shortly thereafter and will travel to Irvine to compete with California’s best in the SoCal Tournament slated for Oct. 12 to Oct. 13.