Council Discusses Patient Care Strike; Prepares for Sun God

Today’s meeting was fairly low key, and around 7 p.m., I found myself nodding off to the calming voice of the A.S. Advisor and Daily Operations Manager Hayley Ryan as she read roll call each time a resolution amendment was proposed.

Fortunately, I found a snack. That, coupled with VP Finance Sean O’Neal’s colorful outbursts, kept me going for the rest of the evening.

The meeting began with special presentations, with the A.S. Women’s Commission speaking about their goals for next year, hoping to continue their “Take Back the Night” sexual awareness event and urging council to become more involved with their initiatives.

Council then reordered to external news for exactly two minutes. I watched as council watched a one-minute video clip titled “One-Minute BBC News,” complete with a one-minute advertisement for Chevron, which they saw to completion.

Council, invest in AdBlock, please. In fact, it’s free.

Outgoing AVP Concerts and Events Eric Babajanian and Designate Sarah Harley made a short appearance to present about the upcoming plans for A.S. Concerts and Events, including the production of more revenue-producing shows and improvements in visibility for A.S. Babajanian also mentioned the addition of the “T.O. Experience” at Sun God Festival 2013, a Triton-Outfitters sponsored tent that will feature a photo booth, merchandise and artist signings.

During New Business, council voted unanimously to stand in solidarity with UC patient care workers during their impending strike on May 21 and 22, passing a resolution titled “Resolution in Support of the May 21 and 22 American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees 3299 Patient Care Workers’ Strike.”

Way to go, council.

The meeting was adjourned shortly afterward (shout-out to A.S. for promoting the Guardian’s Sun God Block Party), following an announcement that Starbucks will replace Cafe Roma in the near future.

Perhaps I will purchase some of that Starbucks the next time I cover the A.S. council meeting.