The Second Seed

The UCSD Softball team went 3–1 against Chico State last week to maintain its No. 2 seed going into the California Collegiate Athletics Association tournament.

“I think our team had a really strong weekend,” junior pitcher Jennifer Manuel said. “Our offensive game was strong, and our outfield was amazing against Chico.”

The Tritons end their regular season with a 24–12 conference record, seven games behind first place Humboldt State and two games in front of third place Sonoma State. Cal State Dominguez (21–15) just edged out Chico State over the weekend to claim the last spot in the four-team tournament.
    With the second seed, UCSD will face No. 3 seed Sonoma State this Friday, May 3 at Arnaiz Stadium in Stockton, Calif. in the first round of the tournament. The last time the two teams met was back in February, when the Tritons split with the Seawolves. 

“We played them really early in the season when we were just getting used to each other,” Manuel said. “Now our team is closer than ever, and I think we’re expecting a really hard game, but we’re gonna come out strong. [Sonoma’s] always tough, but we’re excited to play them.”

Game 1: April 26
    UCSD 5, Chico State 4:

The Tritons took the lead at the top of the first inning on a triple from junior Kirsten Willmon, to score freshman Callie Grant — hitting in the two-hole. The Wildcats equalized in the second inning and went up 2–1 in the third. In the fourth inning, Chico State extended their lead, capitalizing on two errors to pick up two more runs.
    The Tritons took two more back in the fifth inning when Grant and Willmon made their way to third and second, respectively. With two outs junior Mya Romero doubled to left field for two RBI.

Junior righthander Jennifer Manuel loaded the bases in the bottom of the fifth, but fought her way out of it, as the Wildcats stranded three men on base. Manuel kept Chico scoreless in the sixth, giving the Tritons room to take the lead in the seventh, when Sepulveda scored off an unearned run.

Game 2: April 26
    UCSD 1, Chico State 0:

Sophomore Taylor Sepulveda singled through the right side, was moved to second on a sacrifice bunt and stole third. With one out, the redshirt sophomore was brought home on a popup from Willmon.
    The Tritons made the most of its one run. Sophomore Kayla Hensel (10–6) held Chico at bay, allowing just one hit in her seven innings on the mound. 

Game 3: April 27
    Chico State 3, UCSD 0:

Chico State used a three-run second inning to secure the win over the Tritons in the first game of the doubleheader last Saturday. 

The Wildcats took advantage of two costly Triton fielding errors in the second inning, to score three runs off two hits off sophomore slinger Michelle Escamilla (3–11). Escamilla was brought off in favor of Manuel in the third inning, but the damage was already done, and the Tritons put up very little in the way of offense for the remainder of the game.

Game 4: April 27
    UCSD 8, Chico State 2:

The Tritons brought their bats in the last game of the series. UCSD scored its first run in the top of the second off, as senior Nicole Spangler (3-for-2 in game four) doubled to left field to drive in freshman designated player Katie Saunders. 

Up 1–0 in the fourth inning, freshman McKenna Clewett struck a double to bring home Saunders and Spangler. Chico State looked to stem the bleeding, replacing pitcher Alex Molina with a fresh arm in Kayla McConnell, but the Tritons didn’t let up. With Clewett on second and Sepulveda on first, the two made use of their pace, advancing to third and second respectively. McConnell then walked her next two batters to score Clewett. With bases loaded, Romero doubled to left center for three RBI. Chico replaced McConnell with Brooke Langeloh, who gave up one more run before ending the inning. 

Chico took back two runs — one in the fourth and one in the fifth — but was unable to cut the deficit further.