Miraculously, We Always Have Time for Fun

It’s not that we have much say in the matter, either. According to University of Calgary psychology professor Dr. Piers Steel, our short-term planning is done by certain parts of the brain that form the limbic system, a more primitive set of structures concerned with immediate and concrete rewards. Our rational long-term choices, on the other hand, are tasked to the brain’s prefrontal cortex, a section typically responsible for decision-making. Unfortunately for us, the limbic system has a tendency to overpower our responsibility and common sense, causing us to greedily pursue whatever is most readily accessible, which usually leads to us peeling open another Snickers bar, breaking our “vegetarian-week” pledge or skipping gym day in favor of reruns of “The Office.”  

There are exceptions to this rule, however. Our intentions for prescient time allocation are easily derailed by our desire for instant gratification and amusement. While we readily turn down opportunities for work not due until later, mumbling something about a lack of time and a need to focus on the present, we’re always able to make time for fun. When faced with the seductive prospect of a weekend beach day, we miraculously start planning for the future. We have no problem packing on study hours in advance to free up some leisure time. The slots in our calendars allotted to homework always seem to end up much more flexible than those for enjoying ourselves.

It isn’t hard to understand why we are so bad at giving responsibilities the time they deserve. For starters, we woefully underestimate the hours we waste distracting ourselves and take comfort in the notion that we still have time. This happens because that pesky limbic system unavoidably kicks into high gear every time we see a possible diversion with very short time delay — checking Facebook, playing a quick game of Temple Run or sending a quick, innocuous text. 

The instantaneous satisfaction that each little distraction produces makes it rather difficult to rationalize the reward of good grades in the future or a good night’s rest. As a result, we find ourselves sleepily poring over textbooks, cursing the clock’s rapid passage and gazing longingly at our beds. We proceed to vow against any and all distractions for the duration of the quarter, yet we find ourselves dawdling again the next day, wondering how our resolve evaporated.

But while your future now seems cast in a shadow of inefficiency and irresponsibility, don’t lose hope quite yet — you can vanquish that treacherous limbic system. Plan that beach day, but take your work with you, and leave your phone at home. Your calendar will thank you later.