UC Proposes Lactation Policy for Workers

The University of California has proposed instituting a new policy that would ensure UC employees who are nursing mothers, a safe space at the workplace to breastfeed. The new proposed policy, which the UC Office of the President released last week, would force all campuses to allow exempt employees at all UC campuses to take two to three paid breaks per day to express milk.

The proposed additions to UC systemwide policy were announced to UCSD staff members in a Feb. 5 email from UCSD Human Resources.

“The university recognizes the importance and benefits of breastfeeding for both mothers and their infants,” Assistant Vice Chancellor for Human Resources Thomas R. Leet wrote in the email. “Under the provisions of the proposed policy and in accordance with mandated state and federal laws, the university will provide appropriate sanitary and private space for lactation purposes and will provide lactation break time.”

UCSD, like most other UC campuses, already has an employee lactation policy in place. According to Director of Employee Relations, Work/Life and Benefits Jenni Leibman, the new UC-instituted program will change very little about UCSD lactation policy.

“We’ve always had a lactation policy,” Leibman said. “By having a formal, systemwide policy implemented, the application of lactation policies will be more consistent for all UC employees.”

According to the text of the new UC policy, human resources departments would need to provide private locations on campuses and in workplaces, or “any available space with a locking door that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from co-workers, students, and the public,” for breastfeeding women to express milk.

“This is a very positive step in the right direction in having a personnel policy that makes accommodations for all nursing mothers,” UCSD Work/Life Program Coordinator Amanda Chavez said.

After determining logistics with a supervisor, salaried employees, under the new procedures, will be allowed two to three breaks of up to 30 minutes. Non-exempt employees — those whose pay is based on the amount of time working — would also be guaranteed private space, although their breaks, if they exceed previously allotted break times, may be unpaid.

Leibman says that generally, lactation for UCSD employees does not cause any problems and that disputes are rare. Generally, women express milk during work for use later, although a program through the UCSD Women’s Center provides free parking for friends or relatives who bring an employee’s child to campus to nurse.

The revised policy is open to feedback from UC employees until Feb. 20. A final decision on implementation on the policy will be made after that date.