The View From Up Here: A Trip North

We had heard Berkeley’s liberal atmosphere and vibe stands in direct contrast to UCSD’s pristine and modern environment, due to the richer history and culture that San Francisco offers in comparison to San Diego. We had heard a lot about the crazy extremism of Berkeley’s students, so we were excited to spend two nights in Berkeley’s biggest co-op, Cloyne. Home of the “hipster,” “stoner” and new-age spiritualist (who tried to persuade us to come with her to a “cuddle-party.”

For those of you who have never visited a co-op, it is a very eye-opening experience. Cloyne has recently been under a lot of pressure from the press following a student heroin overdose — the student’s mother is currently suing the co-ops for their implicit involvement and lack of regulation. We felt intimidated as we approached the smokers outside wearing fur coats, stroking their pet lizards and drinking beer out of glass jars. It is a peculiar squat. The walls are covered with murals, general words of “wisdom” and provocative graffiti. Completely student-run, it stands as a testament to the fact that most students need to improve their cleaning techniques.

We were lucky enough to witness the quarterly “room bids” ritual during which new arrivals are asked to pair up, draw cards from a hat and bid for the remaining rooms in the house. There is a strong sense of hierarchy in Cloyne; the old “clones” undoubtedly run the show. We couldn’t help but feel compassion for those clueless newbies, dreading pulling the lowest card, in case they would be forced to live in a room called “The Bacon.” This four-man room houses the two top dogs in Cloyne, (also described as sociopaths and evil geniuses) and had two more spaces in the communal bed. Four boys in a bed and home to wildest parties, “The Bacon” is infamous in Cloyne. Other rooms include “The Pharmacy” and “The Hotbox.”

We met one resident who, after nearly burning down the whole wooden building due to a lit cigarette, was evicted. This was a rare case of authoritarian regulation in Cloyne, but she found a way to work the system nonetheless. A true hipster, she now lives in a van she bought.

Perhaps a little skeptical to begin with, we were persuaded by Cloyne’s charms when cooking breakfast in the huge communal kitchen. Residents and guests can help themselves to any of the bountiful, organic food in the cupboards and walk-in fridges and freezers. Cooking is a bonding experience and some people even cook naked. Let us explain. Every Cloyne must spend a certain amount of hours working but if you do them in your birthday suit, this halves your shift.

Coming back to I-House, we couldn’t help but comment on the cultural differences between UCSD and UCB, as well as between San Diego and San Francisco. Clearly, the liberal atmosphere fosters liberal attitudes. Berkeley is a place so associated with the cultural revolution and breaking the “status-quo” that the free-minded people it attracts seem almost too desperate to continue to bring this heritage alive. Maybe if we had gone to Berkeley, just like the friend we were visiting from home, we too may have had a “sexual revolution” and a crazy hallucinogenic spiritual awakening.