Search for New Scripps Director Underway

An international search for the next Vice Chancellor for Marine Sciences, Director of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO) and Dean of the Graduate School of Marine Sciences will begin soon, after previous Vice Chancellor and Director Dr. Tony Haymet retired from his positions on Jan. 1, 2013.

The search committee, co-chaired by Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla and Dean of Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies Peter F. Cowhey, will also include Director of California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology Larry Smarr, Dean of Division of Physical Sciences Mark H. Thiemens and Doctoral Student Rosa Leon Zayas.

“The Committee will conduct an international search for a candidate at the full professor level who must be a scholar of distinction with an international reputation,” Khosla said in a campus-wide email on Jan. 9.

According to an article by Matt Potter of the San Diego Reader, Director of the United States Geological Survey and Science Advisor to Secretary of the Interior, Marcia McNutt, may be succeeding Dr. Haymet as the next Vice Chancellor and Director. This appointment has not yet been confirmed by UCSD.

Dr. Haymet announced his intentions to retire in December, after serving as Vice Chancellor for Marine Science and Director of SIO for six years. As Vice Chancellor, Dr. Haymet established the first institutional postdoctoral program at Scripps, a Marine Biology undergraduate major in Fall 2012 and co-founded the non-profit organization CleanTECH San Diego, among other successes.

San Diego City Council proclaimed Sept. 28 as “Dr. Tony Haymet Day,” in recognition of Dr. Haymet’s services; Dr. Haymet will also remain a Distinguished Professor of UCSD as Vice Chancellor-Marine Sciences, Director of SIO and the Dean of the Graduate Program in Marine Sciences-Emeritus at UCSD. Professor Catherine Constable of the Scripps Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics is serving as Acting Vice Chancellor, Director and Dean, since Dr. Haymet’s sabbatical in Sept. 2012; Dr. Constable will serve her interim position from Oct. 1, 2012 to July 1, 2013.