Site Seen: San Diego Beer Week

There is a place where beer is not only appreciated for its ability to get you “shitfaced,” but also for its full-bodied taste and little twists of spices and flavor. There is a place, and it is here: Welcome to San Diego Beer Week.

What began three years ago has now fermented into a 10 day-long celebration of beer from pubs to microbreweries, all displaying their craftsmanship in this age-old practice. There are over 500 events xto attend throughout San Diego County during all 10 days of the week. And if that doesn’t sound like a lot of time, try to remember that there are as many national holidays as there are days devoted to beer in San Diego. But don’t fret; the whole week isn’t just drinking beer.

The beer gardens and award-winning beers are accompanied with food pairings and culinary chefs coming out to not only highlight the beers of San Diego, but also show how good food and good beer go hand in hand. Opening SDBW is the celebration of the San Diego Brewer’s Guild on Nov. 3, which showcases over 100 of the handcrafted beers that will be served with Allied Guild Member Restaurants’ own creations. Entry costs $35 (comes with a commemorative glass) with a designated driver option for $10. The closing event of this week-long appreciation for beer is the Annual Beer Garden at the Torrey Pines Lodge on Nov. 11. What may seem like a hefty $75 actually comes with unlimited tasting of beer and food pairings by local chefs. But these big events are not what define San Diego’s Beer Week.

From Nov. 2 to Nov. 11, every beer-dispensing establishment will host its own events like brewing classes and even more personal celebrations like meeting the brewers themselves. SDBW, beyond the glass and suds, does have further implications. All the beer is donated and all the funds go towards cancer research.

Surely the average college kid might see beer in a different regard, but it all comes down to one point — beer is a thing of celebration and festivity no matter what age you are. Although underclassmen won’t be able to attend these events, upperclassmen will absolutely love San Diego’s Beer Week where they will begin to scorn college parties and foster their love for the golden elixir anew.