Site Seen: Sustainable Food Expo

In honor of this campaign, UCSD will be hosting a sustainable food expo next Wednesday, Oct. 24 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Exhibitions by food movement leaders — sustainable food suppliers, community and student organizations — will be set up throughout Price Center Ballroom East.

It’s an opportunity to meet and connect with those who are passionate about transforming the American diet and addressing issues about our nation’s food policies in relation to their impact on hunger, health, workers, animals and the environment. While learning about the many problems surrounding food, you can pick up a few tips on how to lead healthier, more eco-friendly lives. As a bonus, you’ll be able to enjoy free samples and collect resources to take home.

Just to name a few of the suppliers and organizations that will be tabling, Fair Trade San Diego, San Diego Sustainable Living Institute and Ellie’s Garden at UCSD will be represented at the fair. For the excessively health-conscious, you’ll be able to consult the nutritionists and dietitians who will also be present at the event.

Food Day, created by the Center for Science in the Public Interest (an independent science-based organization that advocates public health), strives to empower and consolidate the food movement. According to their website, they hope to promote safer, healthier diets, support sustainable and organic farms, reduce hunger, reform factory farms to protect the environment and support fair working conditions for food and farm workers. Judging by today’s increasing consumption of harmfully processed and fast-food products, this movement can only improve our food system.

Like many throughout the nation who will be celebrating Food Day in schools, college campuses, farmers markets, City Halls and state capitals, UCSD will be no different. So come out, learn a thing or two about where your food comes from and show your support. As their flyer says, “It’s time to eat real, UCSD.”